Railroad Forums 

• any news on Lower Boonton ??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#61055  by krapug

On my weekly visit to Kearny I always take notice of how the Lower Boonton Line Single Track line and ROW in general continues to grow more forlorn, and the "cut" contiues the "tradition" of OOS lines fast becoming garbage dumps.

Is there any new, news coming from New York and Greenwood Lake owner about their "commuter" service, or should we just give that plan up for dead??

Meanwhile here is a little bit of humor from all this, the grade crossings of the lower Boonton (through Kearny anyway) all have the "Tracks Out of Service" signs posted, yet the crossbacks on the Newark Branch East do not. As often happens with traffic turning right from Harrison Avenue on to Schuyler, you crawl for the first several blocks on Schuyler and this includes where Schuyler crosses the Nwk Br. East ROW, as often happens cars caught in traffic block the ROW (MOST people seem to know that there are no trains). This past Tuesday while stuck in traffic a car about three in front of me was over the ROW, and a women walking past started yelling at the driver to move, so they don't get killed by a train.

While it might be possible for a very slow moving train to trundle down the Lower Boonton Line, it would be impossible for a train to operate on the Nwk Br. East (rails are missing, debris and the like).

I guess that NS neeeds to put those "Tracks OOS" on the crossbacks after all.

Ken

#61060  by sullivan1985

Havnt heard anything about it, and dont get your hopes up because the boonton line is now the forgotten child of NJT and NS really has no use for it and doesnt want anybody running on it.

#61098  by Jtgshu

The lower lower Boonton Line, from West End to the NEC overpass before DB is frequently used by NS as storage for trailers for piggyback service and double stack cars. But I never see the cars parked on the "main" but rather on the second track. A few weeks ago, it looked as if a few of the westernmost cars derailed. I never saw the cars at a point that far west, and I bet they kept shoving and shoving, and the rear cars hit dirt compacted in the gauge or some debris or something and derailed. Within in a few days, the rest of the cars were gone, excpet these cars, and they were gone in another few days.