Railroad Forums 

• Another Car/train incident- Newark 1/8

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#85155  by roadster

R-News Rochester cable news, is reporting that early this morning a motorist parked his p/u truck on the CSX tracks near the RT 88 overpass in Newark NY , Town of Arcadia. Witinesses called 911 but before authorities could notify the railroad, a train came trough striking the truck. The driver got out of the vehicle prior to the train passing through. The driver was arrested for DWI, trespassing, and UPM (unlawful posession of Marihuana). Of note here is the fact that there is no crossing anywhere near this location public or private. I guess he was looking for a shortcut to the tavern on the southside of the tracks at the former depot location.

#85282  by charlie6017

I have sat there a few times........was he headed south toward the tavern?? He must have been quite loaded...

#85378  by roadster

Sorry Les, UPM is the current penal law description for simple posession of marihuana, CPCS is Criminal Possession of a Controled Substance, (sub sections 1-7depending upon amount). this section is for the illegal drugs like cocaine, heroin, etc. Marihuana is not considered a controled substance. I retired from that line of work in '98. :wink:

#85457  by nessman

Dammit, you're right! I see plenty of CPCS cases come into court but never any UPM's. I never really got into the meat of the law. I always figured CPCS 7th was simple possession of pot. Must of the court procedings go in one ear and out the other until I hear the DA or judge mention the word jail or incarceration.

#85462  by clearblock

As usual, the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reports this as a CSX grade crossing accident:

"A 123 car CSX freight train was unable to stop in time at the snow covered crossing about a half mile east of Route 88. It plowed into Howell's truck."

#85533  by roadster

Ok, there is a private farm crossing just west of the Vanburen St overpass, which is about 1/2 miles east of the village. Now catch this!!! This morning Sunday 1/9 about 3am, Q62508 was west bound near Palmyra when the train went into emergency. While checking the train, the conductor noticed a fire next to the old Palmyra Agway plant(just east of the RT 21 overpass) Conductor found a wrecked snowmobile on fire an contacted the Fire dept.. upon further investigation it was discovered that the snowmobile had been eastbound on the access road next to the tracks when the snowmobile struck the spur track to the agway and bounced into the brake valve of one of Q62508's cars (which caused the Em. brake appl.). The operator fled the scene prior to the conductors arrival. They are currently being sought by Police. Lot's of excitement out here in 315 land.
Les,
UPM is in fact only an infraction punishable only by a fine, simular to a traffic infraction. It takes 3 convictions to move into the potential realm of "JAIL" time. Thats why you've never seen them in court. SEE YA!!!! :-D

#85568  by BR&P

The snowmobile was eastbound next to a westbound freight, got launched into the train and bounced off a brake valve, and caught fire??? It's obvious why the operator fled - an urgent need to replace his Fruit Of The Looms with a clean pair!

#85736  by roadster

Back to the truck incident, The Times of Wayne County reports that the driver left the tavern parking lot to the south of the tracks (at the location of the former NYC pass. station in Newark)and drove North, down a 6 ft embankment then along the tracks for a short distance, then attemped to drive across the tracks which as we now know, failed.

#85811  by SRS125

Are Snowmobiles and 4 wheels suposded to be registered like much like cars and boates with some form of numbers or letters on them with in NY if not they should be. The money collected could go into some kind of an education progam or trail system.

#86619  by roadster

Yes, ATV's and snowmoblies are suppose to be registered simular to a boat. But it doesn't always happen. Being these charactors feld after the incident I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't registered.