Railroad Forums 

• Anaconda Wire, Hastings

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#73493  by ElTrain

Does anybody know how much rail traffic the old Anaconda Wire and Cabel plant in Hastings-on-Hudson generated? It closed in 1976 so my recollection of the plant is very vague. Its now a Superfund site but most of the old buildings remain and much of the old track remains as well.

#73635  by bingdude

There is a feeder track which had at least 4 sidings off it at one time; the feeder starts about a mile south of the Hastings station and passes the WB Platform for some distance.

I am told there was also a Hudson Oil Co. terminal south of the Anaconda plant, which might have also taken cars. And way back when (190X) Hastings Paving stones were once made here as well.
 #73821  by ChiefTroll

In 1960 and 1961, when I was a yard clerk at Yonkers, we had one traveling switcher, KD-12, a day job, that primarily worked the Anaconda plant. I think he usually took about 20 cars or so each day to Hastings, and returned with the same number. He also served the very light traffic at other stations like Dobbs Ferry between Glenwood and Tarrytown. I recall that a good bit of the traffic, both inbound and outbound, went via the car floats at 60th street to points south on the PRR, etc.

Benny Patera was the conductor, Jim Carey was the engineer, and his nephew Joe Carey was the fireman. It was a desirable job in terms of work, hours and remuneraton. They usually had an S-1 or S-3, 800 or 900 series. The 895 sticks in my mind.

HS Tower at Hastings was closed around 1959, but the building and the interlocking were still in place. Before HS closed, KD-12 went west on track 1 or 3, and crossed over at HS to go into Anaconda. After HS closed, KD-12 would get a train order with superiority over opposing trains on track 4 between Glenwood and Hastings, and GD blocked with OW at Tarrytown for the manual block. He returned on track 4 with the current of traffic on verbal permission to enter the main track at the manual switch at Hastings.

A few years after my time there, NYC set up TCS on track 4 between GD and a remote signal at Hastings, to permit KD-12 to make that move without a train order. At about the same time, GD was closed and remoted from DV.

#74721  by ElTrain

Wow - that is great information! Thanks for the insight. Its too bad I missed all the action.