Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK'S ALC-42'S and ALC-42E'S paint scheme questio +question about where the new ALC-42'S operate

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1616562  by Emmett

2 questions.

1: Will the already completed ALC-42'S (300-308) *exempting 301* that are currently painted in phase 6 be repainted to phase 7 which the upcoming ALC-42E'S are being painted in.

2: Where are the ALC-42'S going to be operating. I believe they were announced for the keystone corridor and some for the NEC. Does this mean #301, *day 1 paint scheme unit* will only operate on these corridors? that would be perfect because we could see it a lot.
 #1616565  by STrRedWolf

ALC-42's would be outside the NEC. ALC-42E's will run on the NEC and use caternary power via a APV trailer, and thus will be part of the complete trainsets being delivered.

I doubt they'll repaint any trains.
 #1616582  by STrRedWolf

Keystone service doesn't need diesel as that is on a fully electrified line and runs on ACS-64's. SC-44's are mainly commuter rail equipment like SEPTA (although they fully run on electrified lines).

Let me put it this way: Amtrak's getting the ALC-42's to replace their old P40/P42 fleet, and that order has been in since the pandemic hit. They'll still have the ACS-64 all-electrics. That's the short-term order.

Long term, they just put in the order for ALC-42E's as part of the Airo trainsets (which you can find in a different thread here).
 #1616594  by RandallW

ALC-42Es are being ordered (as part of the Airo trainsets) to operate the Keystone. Amtrak owns no SC-44s--these are owned by the DOTs of California; Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri (collectively operated as "Amtrak Midwest"); and Washington and various commuter agencies.
 #1616598  by Emmett

thanks you. but as i've been getting info that crosses and confuses me im just gonna ask this. the ALC-42's will run Keystone services (as ACS-64's have been rumored to be taken OOS off the keystone corridor in 2024. As well as they would run the pennsylvanian. can you or someone confirm this info and correct anything that is incorrect.
 #1616606  by CNJGeep

Emmett wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:47 pm thanks you. but as i've been getting info that crosses and confuses me im just gonna ask this. the ALC-42's will run Keystone services (as ACS-64's have been rumored to be taken OOS off the keystone corridor in 2024. As well as they would run the pennsylvanian. can you or someone confirm this info and correct anything that is incorrect.
ALC-42s are not going on the Keystones. You may get one on 42/43 by then.
 #1616610  by RandallW

Per Amtrak's FY 2022-2027 Service and Asset Line Plans pages 126 and 133, by 2027 Keystone services will be transitioning from an Amfleet I + Ex-Metroliner + ACS-64 equipment pool to an ICT B1 (6 car Airo train set with a catenary APV and ALC-42E) with the transition completed by 2032 (or sooner). The Pennsylvanian services will use the same equipment pool as the Keystone services. I doubt straight ALC-42s will make their way into the NEC in revenue service unless the P42s operating out of Philadelphia are replaced with ALC-42s prior to Airo train sets being introduced on the Pennsylvanian service.
 #1616613  by MACTRAXX

RW - Amtrak is being OVERLY OPTOMISTIC about the timelines of the Airo trainset procurement process.

I remember mention of thought at the Airo train topic that the earliest we would see some of this new
equipment fully tested and accepted for everyday service is in the late 2020s and beyond...

The ICT motors are unproven and untested new technology that should not be placed in service until
beyond a reasonable doubt that they are reliable enough to replace any currently used equipment.

If the delays and problems concerning the new Acela Two trainsets and ALC42 locomotives are any
indication of what may lie ahead we may be waiting for an extra period of years before any Airo trains
get finally placed into service...All of this seems to me far longer than what past equipment timelines
were from order to delivery and testing - and finally being accepted and placed into service.

IN closing speculating about trivial matters such as new equipment color schemes does not matter
until the finished product is out there in everyday Amtrak service...MACTRAXX
 #1616645  by Emmett

RandallW wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:00 pm Per Amtrak's FY 2022-2027 Service and Asset Line Plans pages 126 and 133, by 2027 Keystone services will be transitioning from an Amfleet I + Ex-Metroliner + ACS-64 equipment pool to an ICT B1 (6 car Airo train set with a catenary APV and ALC-42E) with the transition completed by 2032 (or sooner). The Pennsylvanian services will use the same equipment pool as the Keystone services. I doubt straight ALC-42s will make their way into the NEC in revenue service unless the P42s operating out of Philadelphia are replaced with ALC-42s prior to Airo train sets being introduced on the Pennsylvanian service.
So if the ACS-64's and Amfleets/EX-Metroliners are going OOS does that mean they will use the airo/ALC-42E's will be in service 2024
 #1616647  by RandallW

No. The first Airo train sets will be "D" sets that operate in the Pacific Northwest powered by the Washington State DOT SC-44s. If I recall correctly from a briefing Amtrak provided the Virginians for High Speed Rail advocacy groups, Airo train sets with ALC-42Es are not expected on the east coast until 2026 at the earliest. The Keystone services will continue to use ACS-64s up til that time.
 #1616652  by MACTRAXX

RW - Using WSDOT SC44 locomotives will make deployment of the Cascades service Airo equipment
much easier than having new companion locomotives. That will free up currently-used Horizon cars
to be placed elsewhere as needed as the transition period between equipment types evolves.

Airo equipment for the NEC should be able to enter service sooner being fully compatible with the
ACS-64 motors while the ICTs undergo extensive testing and evaluation. There is no sense holding
Airo passenger car sets out of service because of their locomotives not being ready when ample
ACS-64 motors are already available for use in electrified territory. I am of the opinion that few -
if any - Sprinters will actually be replaced by ICTs in the next ten year timeline...MACTRAXX
 #1616655  by Emmett

so to get this right, ALC-42E's will not be on the east till 2026. the normal diesel ALC-42's will be here soon (2024) for usage on many services but for me the pennsylvanian (i live on the keystone corridor). so when can I assume i will see the ALC-42's of both types.
 #1616693  by STrRedWolf

RandallW wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:04 am No. The first Airo train sets will be "D" sets that operate in the Pacific Northwest powered by the Washington State DOT SC-44s. If I recall correctly from a briefing Amtrak provided the Virginians for High Speed Rail advocacy groups, Airo train sets with ALC-42Es are not expected on the east coast until 2026 at the earliest. The Keystone services will continue to use ACS-64s up til that time.
I did a watch and put summary notes here. Relevant section:
  • Cascades service to get Airo's first by 2026 with 8 D-config trainsets. (All diesel)
  • Regional (all but 66/67 Night Owl) next with 32 B-2's between 2026-2029. (Longer diesel w/electric booster)
  • Keystone/Veromonter/Pennsylvanian/Carolinian/Palmetto/Downeaster/Night Owl with 26 B-1's 2029-2030. (Shorter diesel w/electric booster)
  • Empire Service/Ethan Allen Express/Maple Leaf/Adirondack with 17 C's 2023-2031. (Diesel w/battery booster for getting into NY Penn)