• Amtrak Gateway Tunnels

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Arlington

Since Amtrak expects to run half-hourly HSR on the WAS-NYP side (versus only hourly on the NYP-BOS side) It would seem that Washington's "half hour" HSR service could turn at a stub end too.
  by Greg Moore

Arlington wrote:Since Amtrak expects to run half-hourly HSR on the WAS-NYP side (versus only hourly on the NYP-BOS side) It would seem that Washington's "half hour" HSR service could turn at a stub end too.
Well unless they string catenary beyond DC, there's no point in turning it elsewhere. Whereas right now, a number of them run-through NYP to BOS.
  by Thomas

1. What is the current depth of Amtrak's North River Tunnels (or Hudson Tunnels)?

2. Amtrak claims that a "System Design Study" is currently ongoing for the Gateway Project. How does this relate to preliminary engineering?
  by Ridgefielder

Adirondacker wrote:
Woody wrote: Two or three very
tired office buildings.
The Port Authority had a very tired old office building, one that took up a whole block, which they sold for a billion a few years ago. Yes a billion with a B. Even tired old office buildings in Manhattan aren't cheap. And neither are parking garages when they they can rent parking spaces at the rates they get in Manhattan.
I can think of four or five major real estate developers hereabouts who would probably jump at the chance to partner with Amtrak and put up said billions in exchange for the opportunity to build a full-block mixed office and retail development on top of a future Penn Station South given the foot traffic it is likely to generate. My guess is that someone at Amtrak has probably thought of this, too, and has had a few quiet, private conversations. Full blocks in Midtown do not come around that often-- and the railroad, unlike anyone else, would presumably have the ability to use eminent domain to flush out any minor holdouts in assembling the parcel...
  by Greg Moore

Ridgefielder wrote:
Adirondacker wrote:
Woody wrote: Two or three very
tired office buildings.
The Port Authority had a very tired old office building, one that took up a whole block, which they sold for a billion a few years ago. Yes a billion with a B. Even tired old office buildings in Manhattan aren't cheap. And neither are parking garages when they they can rent parking spaces at the rates they get in Manhattan.
I can think of four or five major real estate developers hereabouts who would probably jump at the chance to partner with Amtrak and put up said billions in exchange for the opportunity to build a full-block mixed office and retail development on top of a future Penn Station South given the foot traffic it is likely to generate. My guess is that someone at Amtrak has probably thought of this, too, and has had a few quiet, private conversations. Full blocks in Midtown do not come around that often-- and the railroad, unlike anyone else, would presumably have the ability to use eminent domain to flush out any minor holdouts in assembling the parcel...

I think you're probably right about deals going on. That said ever since Kelo vs City of New London I wouldn't say "unlike anyone else"
  by 25Hz

Correct, the lower level reference has NOTHING to do with the gateway tunnels project, but the next gen NEC project, which will use deep level stations to avoid near surface infrastructure and minimize sharp curves.

"penn station south" will not be a station, but a set of platforms south of the existing platforms on the same grade as the existing platforms.
  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:1. What is the current depth of Amtrak's North River Tunnels (or Hudson Tunnels)?

2. Amtrak claims that a "System Design Study" is currently ongoing for the Gateway Project. How does this relate to preliminary engineering?
1. about 80-100 feet below the water.

2. This means they are moving toward a finalized design that will work in the real world & be what we ultimately see being built, basically a step past conceptual stage. They may be using simulators to see how train movements will be or how the internally proposed designs deal with fire or other situations etc.

That last bit is important, because lots of projects die or are hugely delayed in the concept phase.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

25Hz wrote:
Thomas wrote:1. What is the current depth of Amtrak's North River Tunnels (or Hudson Tunnels)?

1. about 80-100 feet below the water.

2. This means they are moving toward a finalized design that will work in the real world & be what we ultimately see being built, basically a step past conceptual stage. They may be using simulators to see how train movements will be or how the internally proposed designs deal with fire or other situations etc.

That last bit is important, because lots of projects die or are hugely delayed in the concept phase.
Right. There was $15M in funding committed--cobbled together in a package of related things--to advance the studies. The tunnel-proper gets crowded out for planning resources by stuff like the Portal Bridge, Moynihan Station, and all kinds of other NEC business in the area, but it's at least got an official toehold from Congress to do some formal scoping. Whether the money keeps coming to meaningfully advance those studies past the starting point is anyone's guess, but it is a real ongoing effort.
  by Thomas

1. There was $15 million committed for Gateway Studies in November 2011, and another $20 million was given to Amtrak in April 2012. I also read that Amtrak received $14 million to continue studying the Gateway Project recently--I think in March. I just wonder that, together with three years of funding--on top of some of the studies from ARC that can be incorporated into Gateway--it will be until major construction segments get built. What is the chance that the Gateway Project is completed by 2025?

2. Here is another link regarding Gateway Construction Plans: http://www.hhgraphics.net/hsr/html/inde ... &Itemid=91
  by afiggatt

Thomas wrote:1. There was $15 million committed for Gateway Studies in November 2011, and another $20 million was given to Amtrak in April 2012. I also read that Amtrak received $14 million to continue studying the Gateway Project recently--I think in March. I just wonder that, together with three years of funding--on top of some of the studies from ARC that can be incorporated into Gateway--it will be until major construction segments get built. What is the chance that the Gateway Project is completed by 2025?
The $14 million for Gateway in FY2013 sounds about right. Most of the transportation appropriations amounts for FY2013 were carried directly over from the FY2012 amounts minus the sequestration percentage. The Senate ended up handling the FY13 transportation appropriations as a continuing resolution of the FY2012 appropriations to block the House Republicans transportation bills. Amtrak got $15 million for Gateway studies in FY2012, so they get $14 million and change for FY2013. Which gives them $29 million for Gateway studies so far.

Amtrak requested $60 million for Gateway and Stair Step Capital funds in their FY2013 budget request, so they ended up well short of that.

As for the chance of completing the Gateway project by 2025, one needs to define what parts of the Gateway project? If both Portal bridges, the replacement for the "sawtooth" bridge, two new Hudson tunnels with 4 tracks from Newark to NYP with stub tunnels in place for both South extension levels are completed or approaching completion by 2025, that would be a huge accomplishment. If the property acquisition, EIS, and pre-construction for the South extension upper level are also underway in 2025, that would be quite significant as well. If the Gateway project moves forward in something close to the current conceptual plans, it will be a multi-decade long project.
  by rvlch

The site today, from 11th Av looking east on about the line of 31st street. The excavation on the right rear is for the Hudson Yards South tower. Extensive shoring of that site has already been done. Note the core drilling rig toward the left, appearing in front of the fully closed shop door. This has been working for a couple of weeks on and off along the line that the various documents suggest is the path for the new tunnel segment. Hopefully the developers are on the hook via the air rights deal to make this segment happen...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Adirondacker

Ridgefielder wrote: I can think of four or five major real estate developers hereabouts who would probably jump at the chance to partner with Amtrak and put up said billions in exchange for the opportunity to build a full-block mixed office and retail development on top of a future Penn Station South given the foot traffic it is likely to generate. My guess is that someone at Amtrak has probably thought of this, too, and has had a few quiet, private conversations. Full blocks in Midtown do not come around that often-- and the railroad, unlike anyone else, would presumably have the ability to use eminent domain to flush out any minor holdouts in assembling the parcel...
Like Vornado was going to do with the Hotel Pennsylvania? On a property they bought in 1997 and that has probably been at least breaking even for them since? How much did the developer pay to build over the West SIde Yards? Which have a lot less foot traffic than across the street from Penn Station.
  by 25Hz

Adirondacker wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote: I can think of four or five major real estate developers hereabouts who would probably jump at the chance to partner with Amtrak and put up said billions in exchange for the opportunity to build a full-block mixed office and retail development on top of a future Penn Station South given the foot traffic it is likely to generate. My guess is that someone at Amtrak has probably thought of this, too, and has had a few quiet, private conversations. Full blocks in Midtown do not come around that often-- and the railroad, unlike anyone else, would presumably have the ability to use eminent domain to flush out any minor holdouts in assembling the parcel...
Like Vornado was going to do with the Hotel Pennsylvania? On a property they bought in 1997 and that has probably been at least breaking even for them since? How much did the developer pay to build over the West SIde Yards? Which have a lot less foot traffic than across the street from Penn Station.
Hotel pennsylvania was going to be demolished for a 1000 foot glass box. That plan was terminated, and the hotel will get a lot of TLC in the form of extensive renovations and modernizations over the next 10-15 years, this includes asbestos abatement, roof repairs, wiring and plumbing, basically a "state of good repair" overhaul.

The photo there is a perfect shot of where the gateway "box" will sit under. You can't really work underneath with those shops in the way & active and you cant work to the side because empire tunnel is there and somewhere in the mix is the flushing line extension. The flushing line extension i believe will go on top of the gateway box but under the empire tunnel, i could be wrong on that, it's been months since i looked at a diagram.
  by Thomas

Well, it appears that the first tunneling segment of Gateway will begin this summer. I still think that some of ARC's engineering--such as from the New Jersey Side--can be incorporated into Amtrak's Gateway Project to speed up the process. Does the Gateway Project's cost include a Raritan Flyover?
  by morris&essex4ever

Are the Swiss, Japanese, or French under contract for this tunneling segment? :)