Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1517170  by jcpatten

That track was an industrial track, and I think at one point (well before the sewage treatment plant and I-295) circled around the peninsula to connect to Grand Trunk. It ran along the base of Munjoy Hill before ending, and I think it's now a walking path. Bits and pieces of track still exist under pavement between the track that you see by I-295 and Munjoy Hill. It's not connected to the main line.
 #1517174  by Dick H

I agree that selecting #685 for the $5 promotion seems strange. #685 is the only DE that the half fare senior discount does not apply.
The conductors must be moving the #685 passengers "smartly" on and off tonight with the sold out train is running on time.
 #1517188  by S1f3432

The spur leaving the Main Line east of St. John St. was the former Union Branch which went to Yard 7 along Kennebec St.
between Elm St. and Franklin St. and was active into the 80's serving a scrapyard and a couple of warehouses. This yard
was originally the Portland and Rochester (WN&P) terminal with the mainline curving north along Forest Ave. and the
MEC to Deering Jct. where it crossed the MEC and headed towards Cumberland Mills and west. After MEC and B&M
merged their Portland area facilities into the PTCo the Union Branch was built to replace the line to Deering Jct. The
connection to the GT at the Back Cove bridge was severed by the early 1940's altho it once hosted a GT-WN&P passenger
connection. Panam may still own the Union Branch ROW because I remember discussion about leasing the ROW for buried
fiber optic cable years ago.
 #1517193  by bostontrainguy

Funny that you guys have mentioned that track. Just came across this proposal to use it as a through track from 2001. Maybe with the Westbrook proposal this should be reconsidered? Don't see any suggested station location. Would still like to see everything running down Commercial Street to the Old Port but heard that the Narrow Gauge isn't moving now so bringing the Downeaster down the SLR may not be possible.
(172.66 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Map from Atlantic Northeast Rails & Ports website.
 #1517197  by gokeefe

The statement from NNEPRA thus far has been very specific. They're considering a relocation on the Freight Main Line for operational reasons.

Beyond the tracks next to the hospital parking lot I have yet to read of any other serious potential candidates. Safe assumptions are parking lot (or garage) required, location inside City of Portland, no residential neighborhoods, and preferably 600 feet of tangent track.

I think that limits things to three or four sites at most.
 #1517200  by bostontrainguy

I think there is only one spot to "future proof" the station. It has to be just south of the switch to the Mountain Division near the hospital parking lot. Only then can it be the one Portland Maine station for the Downeaster and whatever future service may run north up the Mountain Division or east towards Old Port.

I supposed it could also be built within the "V" between the Mountain Division and Main Line with two/three platforms but that would be a little less desirable and more complicated.

Time to pick the location that works now and well into the future.
 #1517224  by gokeefe

The hospital parking lot site could probably take an island platform with tracks on both sides along with a freight main line bypass track. That would not necessarily be the case at Mountain Junction.

I mention an island in particular because it eases the creation of a freight bypass and NNEPRA was getting ready to build one at the PTC anyways.
 #1517436  by Cosakita18

gokeefe wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:46 am The hospital parking lot site could probably take an island platform with tracks on both sides along with a freight main line bypass track. That would not necessarily be the case at Mountain Junction.

I mention an island in particular because it eases the creation of a freight bypass and NNEPRA was getting ready to build one at the PTC anyways.
Isn't the mercy hospital parking lot site already accounted for? Mercy plans to massively expand their Fore River Parkway campus, including an office building and a garage at that site.

Also, seems like that stretch of track might be a bit tight between the sharp curve coming off the bridge and the mountain branch junction. Could a 5 car train fit in that space without either being on the curve or blocking the mountain branch?
 #1517443  by bostontrainguy

Cosakita18 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:12 pm
gokeefe wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:46 am The hospital parking lot site could probably take an island platform with tracks on both sides along with a freight main line bypass track. That would not necessarily be the case at Mountain Junction.

Isn't the mercy hospital parking lot site already accounted for? Mercy plans to massively expand their Fore River Parkway campus, including an office building and a garage at that site.

Also, seems like that stretch of track might be a bit tight between the sharp curve coming off the bridge and the mountain branch junction. Could a 5 car train fit in that space without either being on the curve or blocking the mountain branch?

Looks like around 1000 feet, so yes.
 #1517485  by markhb

The intent to use the Union Branch at one time involved a new line extending from the Forest Ave. crossing alongside I-295 to a new station near the current site of the Miss Portland diner, and then on to a new bridge across the mouth of Back Cove joining the GT in East Deering. A major part of the goal was to increase visibility of the service, but given the ridership in the ensuing decades I don't think that's truly necessary now. Plus, the proposed station location didn't anticipate the commuter usage of the service, so it probably didn't have enough parking for the current usage pattern.
 #1517486  by gokeefe

markhb wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 pmA major part of the goal was to increase visibility of the service, but given the ridership in the ensuing decades I don't think that's truly necessary now.
Haha. No kidding! That route is entirely unworkable now due in part to development.
 #1517515  by jwhite07

Neat trivia - that branch line alongside I-295 and Deering Oaks Park is where they posed the German ICE high speed demonstration train Amtrak leased during the train's visit to Portland in September 1993.