Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1486378  by gokeefe

Conventional electrification is not something to be concerned about. Population and service levels will not get anywhere close to justifying this anytime soon.

Also worth noting that the real clearance problem is the overpass in Dover.
Last edited by gokeefe on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1486383  by BandA

You could use batteries and/or semi-permanent coupling + multiple pantographs to bridge "dead spots" such as road or pedestrian bridges. That way you can run maximum clearance catenary, then non-conductive guide wire under any "obstructions" and not spend any money increasing clearances! PAR will still be unhappy running hazmat under wire but hopefully there wont be any derailments :wink:
 #1486399  by gokeefe

east point wrote:Why cannot a station have a pedestrian walkway protected by gates at the end of platform ?
It could but that would require a ramp and a new right of way to access the tracks on foot.

I also strongly suspect that the FRA discourages this arrangement as a rule.
 #1486496  by Dick H

Dover, NH Boston & Maine RR 100 ft., single track, crossed by a residential street 1840s Rebuilt 1907 to double track, single tracked 1958, in use by Pan Am Ry. and Amtrak Downeaster service
http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/d_arch01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bridge carries Washington Street, a major thoroughfare, over the PAR line.
While I do not believe the Arch bridge is on the list of Historical Places, it does
have some local historical significance and any plan to replace it with a steel
and concrete highway bridge would almost certainly face major opposition. As
far as lowering the track, there have been drainage issues under the bridge in
the past,

Also in Dover is the Oak Street Bridge, near the former Dover engine house, now a pottery business.
This bridge is scheduled for replacement within the next few years and it has already been noted
that the new bridge will have to have a taller profile over the tracks. One other Dover bridge of
note, is the Broadway railroad overpass. That bridge does have an overhead structure. I do not
know the clearance under that structure.

https://bridgehunter.com/nh/strafford/6501320013000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://bridgehunter.com/nh/strafford/bh58597/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1486503  by Backshophoss

MN's Southeast station(aka Brewster North) has a foot crossing with gates,uses a ramp to reach the hi-level island platform.
That might be worth checking out,as a fix for the 2nd platform at Wells. :wink:
 #1486605  by brettj22

MNRR Southeast station island platform is now only accessed by a footbridge over the tracks. Stairs / elevators to the walkway. No gates / at grade foot crossing.
 #1486617  by Hux

Dick H wrote:Dover, NH Boston & Maine RR 100 ft., single track, crossed by a residential street 1840s Rebuilt 1907 to double track, single tracked 1958, in use by Pan Am Ry. and Amtrak Downeaster service
http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/d_arch01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bridge carries Washington Street, a major thoroughfare, over the PAR line.
While I do not believe the Arch bridge is on the list of Historical Places, it does
have some local historical significance and any plan to replace it with a steel
and concrete highway bridge would almost certainly face major opposition. As
far as lowering the track, there have been drainage issues under the bridge in
the past,

Also in Dover is the Oak Street Bridge, near the former Dover engine house, now a pottery business.
This bridge is scheduled for replacement within the next few years and it has already been noted
that the new bridge will have to have a taller profile over the tracks. One other Dover bridge of
note, is the Broadway railroad overpass. That bridge does have an overhead structure. I do not
know the clearance under that structure.

https://bridgehunter.com/nh/strafford/6501320013000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://bridgehunter.com/nh/strafford/bh58597/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think there'd be much opposition to replacing the arch outside of local rail fans and history buffs/officials. At present you can't even see the tracks from the road due to a profusion of vegetation and brush and I'd bet few folks are aware of its construction. Oak Street would be the one people would gripe about as an inconvenience/hazard to commuting navigation.
 #1486623  by Tom M

You're right. Any opposition regarding replacing the Dover Arch would come from local fans of the structure, railfans, history buffs, and officials. That's where interest typically comes from and I'd be disappointed if those groups sat idly by while change happened around them. The view westbound is completely clear. Eversource has lines running parallel to the track and did extensive clearing of vegetation about a year ago. The eastbound view is obstructed, but Pan Am typically clears the banking of trees every few years. NH DOT did some repairs to the wooden deck of the Oak Street bridge earlier this year, but it is scheduled for replacement in the not too distant future.
 #1486703  by Dick H

The Great Dome running on #691 on Saturday. September 22,
struck a low hanging tree west of Exeter. At least one window
was damaged. Passengers in the dome were moved back to the
coaches and the dome was taken out of service. Today, 9/23,
was to have been the last day for the dome on the Downeaster
The Dome is scheduled to begin service on the Adirondack on
September 27th. Perhaps the Albany maintenance facility can
handle any needed repairs.
 #1486715  by shadyjay

Earlier in the week, I was contemplating a trip to Maine, with a ride on the Downeaster to ride the dome today (9/23). Instead, I chose to go to upstate NY for the weekend. Glad I chose the latter, as I would've missed out on the dome either way.