• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

The agreement for technical support between Amtrak and Siemens first reported here by Mr. Railnut leaves me with "mixed" impressions. Possibly those who "do this stuff for a living" such as Messrs. Third Rail and Approach, will choose to comment, but if they choose not, that should be respected.

At first, this monitoring of mechanical issues as they develop appears to emulate what airlines have in place with most aircraft in commercial service today. As soon as a mechanical issue arises in flight (obviously not affecting flight safety or even passenger convenience) that is X-mitted from the aircraft to the ground (lest we forget such was instrumental in locating AF447) so that a solution is started before the aircraft lands thus minimizing the out of service time to having the repairs made at the Gate (of course that is always "sport" for the passengers. Once on a delayed flight, I can recall the Captain announcing "Ladies and Gentlemen, I know you are all aware we have been delayed account a mechanical issue, but I assure you that if this aircraft was not safe to fly, I wouldn't be flying it").

While I'm certain that other Amtrak locomotives have on board diagnostic systems, this could well be the first for 'real time" (if there are terms in place for this system please accept my apologies for not knowing them).

Another thought is that Amtrak will be precluded from applying "after market" parts to the locomotives, or if they are remanufactured they have been done so under Siemens oversight. I have no knowledge to what extent locomotive failures have been laid at the feet of 'after market" parts, I'm sure there are issues of such, and likely the same with any railroad (that means all of 'em) that has gone to the "after market" to save a buck.

My final thought is I can only trust that the IBEW "Brothers and Sisters" have concurred with this Contracting Out initiative.
  by Station Aficionado

Hmm. Was the maintenance/support agreement included as part of the "purchase?" I ask because, if so, I wonder whether that would allow Amtrak to "capitalize" some of it maintenance expenses. I believe Jet Blue did something similar with its initial Airbus purchase.
  by ApproachMedium

Amtrak already has two real time systems on their HSTs, HHP-8 AEM-7 AC and on every P40/42 on the railroad. I think they even have the F59s now too.

The system on the HST, HHP and AEM AC are all under a proprietary program called MEAPs. Maintenance Events Analysis Program. It originally was the exact same situation, but with Alstom monitoring it instead of Siemens like now. After some time in to the program when the funding got cut back or something they had to stop using Alstom for the service program on the AEMs and the HHPs. Amtrak hired an outside contractor to monitor the program as well as gave access to technicians and other critical mechanical employees such as myself. Emails get sent out anytime a locomotive has anything go wrong with it that could potentially be a problem later on so it can be caught later. If an engine has any kind of failure that too is also sent out with all of its most recent mechanical events. This system is not tied at all to the event recorder. However the new system WiTronix, which is an industry wide product that even Norfolk Southern uses today, is tied to every single aspect of the locomotive and everything is sent to a central server where its backed up recorded etc. Cameras, event recorders, propulsion problems/events, cab signals etc. It even knows the temp, wind direction, all kinds of stuff for where ever the locomotive is.

After the HSts/HHP/AEM mess im skeptical to see how far this service contract thing goes with amtrak. 15 years is a long time.
  by AgentSkelly

Its sounds like its almost like the Talgo arrangement except the tech doesn't ride the trains...
  by Greg Moore

Had a nice smooth ride on train 173 yesterday, with 610 as the motor.

(Did get into Philly about 10 minutes late and had some slow orders south of there, but by WAS we were only 5 minutes behind schedule.)

I still think the front of them looks like a cat!

Very shiny.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you, Mr. Approach, for stepping up to report that the maintenance system for the ACS 64 is already in place for the present Amtrak locomotive fleet.

It certainly does not appear that any new "ground has been broken" with the Amtrak/Siemens agreement as outlined in the previously captioned press release.
  by ChooChooCat

Greg Moore wrote:Had a nice smooth ride on train 173 yesterday, with 610 as the motor.

(Did get into Philly about 10 minutes late and had some slow orders south of there, but by WAS we were only 5 minutes behind schedule.)

Very shiny.
That's exactly why I like them so much!
  by ACeInTheHole

Greg Moore wrote:Had a nice smooth ride on train 173 yesterday, with 610 as the motor.

Very shiny.
If you happen to find the 611 anywhere it is by far the filthiest Sprinter out there. Dont expect that shine to last long on 610.
  by ApproachMedium

Very shiny.

Angry Chinamen. Thats what quite a few people have started calling it. I suggested the Catmobile as posted on this site, but that doesnt seem to be taking off too well. LOL
  by Toaster718

ApproachMedium wrote:Amtrak already has two real time systems on their HSTs, HHP-8 AEM-7 AC and on every P40/42 on the railroad. I think they even have the F59s now too.

The system on the HST, HHP and AEM AC are all under a proprietary program called MEAPs. Maintenance Events Analysis Program. It originally was the exact same situation, but with Alstom monitoring it instead of Siemens like now. After some time in to the program when the funding got cut back or something they had to stop using Alstom for the service program on the AEMs and the HHPs. Amtrak hired an outside contractor to monitor the program as well as gave access to technicians and other critical mechanical employees such as myself. Emails get sent out anytime a locomotive has anything go wrong with it that could potentially be a problem later on so it can be caught later. If an engine has any kind of failure that too is also sent out with all of its most recent mechanical events. This system is not tied at all to the event recorder. However the new system WiTronix, which is an industry wide product that even Norfolk Southern uses today, is tied to every single aspect of the locomotive and everything is sent to a central server where its backed up recorded etc. Cameras, event recorders, propulsion problems/events, cab signals etc. It even knows the temp, wind direction, all kinds of stuff for where ever the locomotive is.

After the HSts/HHP/AEM mess im skeptical to see how far this service contract thing goes with amtrak. 15 years is a long time.
Did u hear of any problems with the 609 on 143?
  by Greg Moore

Just saw 606 pull into Trenton SB. (not sure which train, it's 11:41 AM if someone wants to figure it out :-)
  by ApproachMedium

143 is a springfield to DC train, that motor would not have ended up in SSYD if it had a problem. I only monitor the stuff that hangs out in the terminal area.
  by Greg Moore

Huh, one of my posts disappeared.

But also saw another SB regional pull into Metropark (I think it was 615).

The ACS-64s, they're taking over!
  by chuchubob

So many are running now that it's no longer a novelty to see one.
614 on train 141
610 on train 85
As mentioned in a post above, 606 was on train 43.
603 on train 174