Railroad Forums 

• ALP-46 Overhaul Provided for in 2015 Capital Plan

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1286834  by Fan Railer

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/7-09-2014_ ... _final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On page 27 of the PDF above (attachment three of the document, page 4 of 8), it is stated that 14.826 million dollars are allocated to an overhaul of the ALP-46 (29 original locos delivered in the early 2000s). I'm interested to know what exactly they are looking to overhaul on those locomotives, as they seem fairly operationally sound.
 #1286886  by srock1028

Fan Railer wrote:I'm interested to know what exactly they are looking to overhaul on those locomotives, as they seem fairly operationally sound.
Say you run your personal automobile for an average of 12 hours a day for 14 years, its going to need some work done to it, same thing here with the ALP46's.
 #1287338  by 25Hz

These things get run hard all day in every weather condition, and as of now are the oldest electrics in the fleet, the oldest of the original order being 15 years old.

I wonder if they will get changed over to 46a specs or just get some sprucing up....
 #1287377  by DutchRailnut

lets see, taking totally worn out parts and put them in locomotive that is partially worn out, yup that seems to make sense. and specially since those parts are not same or from same manufacturer ??
with only about $500 K available per unit, and having to split that between labor and parts, I would say this only involves truck overhauls and compressors and a few other rotary parts like fans.
 #1289593  by 8th Notch

Matt Johnson wrote:
25Hz wrote: I wonder if they will get changed over to 46a specs or just get some sprucing up....
A cheaper option would be to take the components out of the stored ALP-44's and put 'em in the 46's.
Your kidding right?
 #1289659  by Matt Johnson

8th Notch wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
25Hz wrote: I wonder if they will get changed over to 46a specs or just get some sprucing up....
A cheaper option would be to take the components out of the stored ALP-44's and put 'em in the 46's.
Your kidding right?
I was inspired by this!