• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:
michaelk wrote:I'd love that but someone (Cruiser i think) pointed out that a NEC train is pretty big (could be like 8-10 cars?) and a typical Raritan Valley Line train is relatively much smaller (more like 5?). So they couldn't likely be able to get everyone off a NEC train to transfer to a RVL train to make that work. I'm pretty sure those of us who use the RVL are hosed for the foreseeable future with the possible exception of a midday or weekend train here or there.
RVL trains are typically 6 and sometimes 5 or 7 cars. The dual modes and the alp46a have enough HEP for 12 multilevels, but i'm not sure if or when regular 12 car trains will run in service. Perhaps someone (cruiser?) could enlighten us.
The dual modes will not not haul 12 cars trains in revenue service.
  by ApproachMedium

The ALPs 1000kW HEP can barely run 10MLVs. They had to cut out sections of the floor heat on the cars because the original setup drew so much power, they could barely do 6 cars. I dont recall what the HEP output is on the dual mode, I would imagine around 800kW? Which is the same as a PL42 and the GE Genesis passenger locos.
  by DutchRailnut

ALP45DP is rated as a 1000 Kw HEP
  by R36 Combine Coach

4511 was on the Center Street interchange as of this afternoon.
  by ryanov

michaelk wrote:I'd love that but someone (Cruiser i think) pointed out that a NEC train is pretty big (could be like 8-10 cars?) and a typical Raritan Valley Line train is relatively much smaller (more like 5?). So they couldn't likely be able to get everyone off a NEC train to transfer to a RVL train to make that work. I'm pretty sure those of us who use the RVL are hosed for the foreseeable future with the possible exception of a midday or weekend train here or there.
A couple of thoughts there are that maybe some people would stay on to Hoboken (don't know) and that you might need a longer RVL train anyway if you're running that particular one into NY. Don't know.
  by 25Hz

sixty-six wrote:
25Hz wrote:
RVL trains are typically 6 and sometimes 5 or 7 cars. The dual modes and the alp46a have enough HEP for 12 multilevels, but i'm not sure if or when regular 12 car trains will run in service. Perhaps someone (cruiser?) could enlighten us.
You sure about that?
As i've been on a 12 car train hauled by a 46, yes. This was back when 44's were still in service - the train was broken in 2 at morrisville to give a 5 car train to a 44 and 7 cars stayed with the 46, this was confirmed by me noting the car numbers, had to wait at trenton for 3 hours and i saw both leave for nyp.

Also in various njt pdf's it is noted that the newer locomotives (45 & 46a) had the head end power for 12 multilevels. If this was changed i wasn't aware.
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
25Hz wrote:
You sure about that?
As i've been on a 12 car train hauled by a 46, yes. This was back when 44's were still in service - the train was broken in 2 at morrisville to give a 5 car train to a 44 and 7 cars stayed with the 46, this was confirmed by me noting the car numbers, had to wait at trenton for 3 hours and i saw both leave for nyp.

Also in various njt pdf's it is noted that the newer locomotives (45 & 46a) had the head end power for 12 multilevels. If this was changed i wasn't aware.
12 car train hauled by a single 46? All I recall is some 12 car trains running with 2 46's on the Totally Badass Supercruisers. The ALP 45's will not be run with 12 ML's.
Last edited by morris&essex4ever on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by R36 Combine Coach

For Amtrak, 12 Amfleets would require two AEM7s.
  by ACeInTheHole

I am probably going to come off as extremely buffy with this question just warning you so if no one has an answer or does not want to answer its fine, but on my way into New York today i glanced over at the MMC across the Kearny connection and noticed two ALP45s hooked up to one another in plain sight, but because I was on the NY end of the switch I was nowhere near close enough see their numbers... does anyone happen to know what the numbers of the two I saw were? Again no big deal if no one answers this but I would really like to know.
  by Jtgshu

NJT ran regularly scheduled 12 car Comet sets with 1 ALP46 (the original ones) back in the 2007ish time frame...that means they weren't necessarily split to make two trains. It was often the same cars and locos for days/weeks on end. It was an experiment that thankfully hasn't been repeated. When NJT ran the 2 ALP46 (again, original '46s) and 12 ML sets, only one ALP was providing HEP. The other ALP was providing traction power only.

Beanbag,I dunno the numbers exactly, but I bet the first 3 numbers were 4, 5 and 1 :)
  by DutchRailnut

watch out he is warning you ....
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:NJT ran regularly scheduled 12 car Comet sets with 1 ALP46 (the original ones) back in the 2007ish time frame...that means they weren't necessarily split to make two trains. It was often the same cars and locos for days/weeks on end. It was an experiment that thankfully hasn't been repeated. When NJT ran the 2 ALP46 (again, original '46s) and 12 ML sets, only one ALP was providing HEP. The other ALP was providing traction power only.

Beanbag,I dunno the numbers exactly, but I bet the first 3 numbers were 4, 5 and 1 :)
Okay thanks anyway JT... like I said no big deal.
  by sixty-six

beanbag wrote:I am probably going to come off as extremely buffy with this question just warning you so if no one has an answer or does not want to answer its fine, but on my way into New York today i glanced over at the MMC across the Kearny connection and noticed two ALP45s hooked up to one another in plain sight, but because I was on the NY end of the switch I was nowhere near close enough see their numbers... does anyone happen to know what the numbers of the two I saw were? Again no big deal if no one answers this but I would really like to know.

4505 and 4507.
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:I am probably going to come off as extremely buffy with this question just warning you so if no one has an answer or does not want to answer its fine, but on my way into New York today i glanced over at the MMC across the Kearny connection and noticed two ALP45s hooked up to one another in plain sight, but because I was on the NY end of the switch I was nowhere near close enough see their numbers... does anyone happen to know what the numbers of the two I saw were? Again no big deal if no one answers this but I would really like to know.

4505 and 4507.
Thank you sixty-six much appreciated.
  by Jtgshu

well look at that, they weren't the 451X and 451X - i read that as if they were being delivered on center street.....my bad :)

I wonder if they are testing them MU'ed now. That could be interesting. One go into diesel mode, the other go into electric mode hahaha