Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#560265  by Alcoman

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:That "200-230 ton" loco, as the guy describes it, is way overpriced, for a loco that can only be crane lifted, and trucked out. This seller won't allow roller trucks to be installed, to bring it out by rail. I would consider it scrapped........ :(
In spite of sending a correction regarding the weight and engine,he insists the listing correct "according to what he was told". These guys appear not to know a single thing about locomotives.
Someone has already placed a bid on it....strange.
 #563254  by Alcoman

The Ohio Central Railroad has just been sold to the G&WI. Because of this,we should expect that ALL ALCO/MLW power on the Ohio Central will be up for sale soon. The G&W is now an all EMD railroad.
 #564289  by westr

The Pacific Northwest Chapter of the NRHS in Portland, OR has a S2 that apparently needs a home. I was at Antique Powerland in Brooks, OR where they are restoring former Portland Terminal #36, chatting with a member who said that they're going to scrap it's younger sister, #39, because it has nowhere to go. I'm not sure of its condition; the Portland Terminal Alcos were retired in the late 80s/early 90s, and I think its been stored on a Portland-area siding ever since. See http://www.pnwc-nrhs.org/contact.html for contact info.
 #565952  by Alcoman

Alcoman wrote:
thebigham wrote:A good Ohio Central roster:

http://www.thedieselshop.us/OHCR.HTML

They have:
C424
C420
RS18
2 S2s
S4 - says retired
RS3
T6
You beat me to the punch on this list, but I think an S-6 was left out.

According to the railroad president, ALL Alcos are for sale NOW!
 #566347  by Chris France

Does that include the B&O S-4 #9100? Was never sure if that belonged to the Ohio Central or not.
 #566353  by RS-3

Not sure which one, but one of the S-2/4's, I *think* the 9400, has roller bearing trucks.

RS
 #566357  by Chris France

That'd be 9100. I've seen a bunch of pictures of it. I work at the B&O museum and would love to see us get our hands on that unit. Not sure it could happen though as the museum has other priorities (and rightly so). But still i dream of us having an operation ALCO.