Railroad Forums 

• ALCO Schenectady Plant

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#876821  by snitkofj

Got a look at the plant yesterday, after a report on another list, it appears they starting to take down unused buildings. The large gantry outside and eternal piping along the large building closest to Erie Blvd have been removed.
 #876851  by traingeek8223

Seems like they are focusing on scrapping right now. Anything that isn't nailed down and most things that are are disappearing. I believe the crew doing the demo has rights to the scrap. Rather disgraceful if you ask me. No buildings have come down yet. I doubt it will be long though. Here's to "progress"! Sad times.
 #877179  by RickRackstop

If this is typical for New York State somebody is paying property taxes on that property and the taxes on an empty lot is a lot less. It also seems that its impossible to sell that property also. GE has been doing this for ages or at least until this guy Immelt (?) took over.
 #882106  by joe k

During WWII, in the midst of a vast war production, the men and women of the American Locomotive Company produced 7,362 Army tanks, tank destroyers, shells, bombs, gun carriages, gun mounts and 4,488 locomotives. Employment increased three-fold to over 15,000 people by 1945.

And one of the few surviving ALCO US Army Locomotives 0-6-0 # 4039 was built at the Schenectady facility in 1942
Today the 4039 is located at the Whippany Railway Museum in Whipany New Jersey and is undergoing a major restoration......the WRyM and their rebuilder contractor have a scheduled target date of 2012

Check out the WRyM web site for more information with the ongoing restoration and how you can help make this project achieve it's goal

www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net
 #885829  by GOLDEN-ARM

and how, exactly, does that post relate to the destruction of the remaining structures at schenectady?
 #886453  by Alcoman

I was recently informed that Building 77 is now history. This was once a paint shop.
 #949538  by N_DL640A

As of Monday, July 4th, the ALCO plant complex was almost gone. The main erecting building is completely gone. Only a few large piles of scrap steel remain.
Only two buildings are left.
I believe the two remaining buildings are numbers 54 (the old building with an "M" shaped roof) and 37, the small building at the far South East corner of the property, kind of across from the old Mastroianni bakery.
It looked like the were starting to tear down building 54, beginning at the south end, and the roll up door to 37 was forced open, probably for scrap salvage within the building.
Very sad.
Time to take your last photos!