Railroad Forums 

• Alabama Railfanning trip

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #417143  by chuckmitchell

I am going to Alabama to Railfan NS, CSX, and BNSF. Does anyone know any good spots around the Huntsville, and Birmingham areas? And How active those lines are. Any Addresses, or any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#417861  by sk205

In Birmingham, a real winner is in Irondale, west of downtown on I-20. Just outside (west) of NS Norris Yard is a great spot. The Birmingham_Meridian Corridor has a lot of traffic. The East End Main adjoining the the yard entrance has Amtrak, as well as run thu power from BNSF heading to Honda. Plenty of foreign power from UP and KCS is around.

Downtown Bham has the railroad reservation where CSX and NS tracks run side by side, not so great photo spots

#417863  by chuckmitchell

Thanks for the help man, how active are those spots?

#418355  by lakeshoredave

10th Street in downtown Birmingham is the main hotspot....CSX and NS have shared trackage through there, and its quite busy through there from what I've heard.

#418468  by chuckmitchell

Ok thank you I will have to check that spot out.