Railroad Forums 

• Air Throttle MU

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#189341  by Engineer Spike

What type of connections were used for the Baldwin air throttle system to MU? Was it another hose besides those for the idependant , MR , and actuating? Did they have a jumper too?

#189572  by Typewriters

Yes; an air connection and an electrical jumper.

There were two air throttles available; the older D-1 Controlair, and the newer CE-100. They were NOT compatible with each other. The D-1 was used for single unit and multiple unit applications; the CE-100 was required for units with dynamic brake. The two throttles differed in the range of air pressure applied to the throttle pipe, and in the fact that the CE-100 employed an internal switch to close/open the main power contactors. The simpler D-1 just admitted air to the throttle pipe; a separate pressure switch tapped into the pipe detected proper pressure and shut the main power contactors.

While I'm at it, neither of these was compatible with the air throttle fitted in Fairbanks-Morse units --- and the F-M units had two different cam fittings for two different pressure ranges (30 lb and 60 lb if I recall.)

And, while I'm STILL at it, you COULD get an electric throttle (Westinghouse XM-781) in the Baldwins that could be arranged for compatibility with other units using electric throttles.

http://www.geocities.com/wbd641/BLWcontrols.html

Above is the page on my website showing these various controllers.

-Will Davis

#190545  by Engineer Spike

It must have been bad in cold weather. A leaky hose or fitting might make trailing units not load up as fully.
I have read about electric trottle mu availability. This way a Baldwin could mu with an EMD or Alco.
 #190584  by jr

Not only leaks, but also condensation could (and apparently frequently did) freeze in the lines, causing trailing units to become unresponsive to throttle changes.

JR