• AEM7 Disposition (and other motors - HHP8)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:Two HHP-8s were already down for the count before the first ACS even went in service. Nothing else is being taken offline just yet, amtrak is still power short.
The general game plan is once an ACS-64 has been in service for a month with no issues they will decommission a "repeater." 600 is coming up to week 2 and they have already identified a cast of characters based on costs. AM, I'm sure you know better than anyone there is no shortage of candidates, however some are being used for "parts (like the 950) and protect/rescue/emergency service (901) and will not likely end up on the dead line for some time.

However, one of my babies may have entered the list and may have gone to the head of the class (behind your previously mothballed HHP-8s). At this late in the game, do you think they're going to fix an engine from your favorite batch that lacked a serious overhaul, hasn't operated in almost two months and has auxiliary transformer and chronic compressor problems?

I'm hearing a resounding "NO," which is a shame since my other two favorites went out in a blaze of glory.

I'm not actually sure about the glory part, but they definitely went out in a blaze. :P
  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Two HHP-8s were already down for the count before the first ACS even went in service. Nothing else is being taken offline just yet, amtrak is still power short.
The general game plan is once an ACS-64 has been in service for a month with no issues they will decommission a "repeater." 600 is coming up to week 2 and they have already identified a cast of characters based on costs. AM, I'm sure you know better than anyone there is no shortage of candidates, however some are being used for "parts (like the 950) and protect/rescue/emergency service (901) and will not likely end up on the dead line for some time.

However, one of my babies may have entered the list and may have gone to the head of the class (behind your previously mothballed HHP-8s). At this late in the game, do you think they're going to fix an engine from your favorite batch that lacked a serious overhaul, hasn't operated in almost two months and has auxiliary transformer and chronic compressor problems?

I'm hearing a resounding "NO," which is a shame since my other two favorites went out in a blaze of glory.

I'm not actually sure about the glory part, but they definitely went out in a blaze. :P
950 being used for parts? This confuses me. I hate to disagree with you ThirdRail but I caught it multiple times in the last couple weeks and have pics to back it up. Unless this arrangement is new?
  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote: 950 being used for parts? This confuses me. I hate to disagree with you ThirdRail but I caught it multiple times in the last couple weeks and have pics to back it up. Unless this arrangement is new?
Sorry. I meant the 951.
  by ApproachMedium

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote: 950 being used for parts? This confuses me. I hate to disagree with you ThirdRail but I caught it multiple times in the last couple weeks and have pics to back it up. Unless this arrangement is new?
Sorry. I meant the 951.
Thank god, and good riddance to that steaming pile of doo doo.
  by ACeInTheHole

What happened to it that lead to it being a parts unit? And which unit is the one that seems like its first in line to go? If you are not at liberty to discuss its understandable
  by lirr42

Could be anything. It could be that the 951 was unlucky enough to be nearby when they needed a part or two for an engine.
  by ApproachMedium

951 was another habitual bad actor engine. It constantly needed to be paired with another engine to run around. After all its in my "favorite" class of AEM-7 numbers as i have mentioned over and over again here. It hopefully meets its fate of the flaming torch after they take what they need from it. And when i say flaming torch i dont mean the scrappers torch. Someone needs to make a bonfire out of that thing lol.
  by Matt Johnson

Is there a common problem (or series of problems) with the HHP-8's or is it various types of failures that are hurting the reliability of those comparatively young locomotives?
  by ApproachMedium

Certain things are common problems, like Glycol leaks in the power modules, issues with PCS fans getting stuck in high speed or not working at all causing traction loss. There are certain units that seem to have perpetual problems like one that constantly has problems with cab signals and speed sensing for the cab signals. Some appear to just have certain gremlins about them, like one week something doesnt work, you fix it next week its something else.
  by Tadman

Do the terms of the HHP lease with BBD make any specification about the condition the units are to be returned in? IE fully functioning or not parted out?
  by ApproachMedium

If amtrak parts them out they never said the parts put back in the dead units had to be working parts. :-D
  by fl9m2004

Haven't seen 653 or 904 in quite a while I do however have a great pic of 912-907 on 54 Vermonter from 3 weeks ago with both pantagraphs up
  by emd645e3

fl9m2004 wrote:Haven't seen 653 or 904 in quite a while I do however have a great pic of 912-907 on 54 Vermonter from 3 weeks ago with both pantagraphs up
904 was on a Keystone set as of last week, I think. It had some kind of wacky wheelslip issue last I saw it. 925 blew up (basically) at 30th Street last week. Smoke and all.
  by ACeInTheHole

emd645e3 wrote:
fl9m2004 wrote:Haven't seen 653 or 904 in quite a while I do however have a great pic of 912-907 on 54 Vermonter from 3 weeks ago with both pantagraphs up
904 was on a Keystone set as of last week, I think. It had some kind of wacky wheelslip issue last I saw it. 925 blew up (basically) at 30th Street last week. Smoke and all.
That mustve been lovely. How bad is the damage? Did the engineer get out okay? With one sprinter in revenue service and another soon to follow.. I think we can effectively call 925 toast. Approach, what are your thoughts on this locomotive? Was it a good one or a pile of crap?
  by emd645e3

ACeInTheHole wrote:
emd645e3 wrote:
That mustve been lovely. How bad is the damage? Did the engineer get out okay? With one sprinter in revenue service and another soon to follow.. I think we can effectively call 925 toast. Approach, what are your thoughts on this locomotive? Was it a good one or a pile of crap?
Engineer was on the platform, no injuries. Just charred electronics.