Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7/ALP-44 status

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1389630  by SEPTA Fan 235

nomis wrote:Rephrase that question ... Will septa be willing to charter an AEM / ALP excursion if an organization organizes it? Both the Philly NRHS and the Friends of Philadelphia Trolleys ran Silverliner II & III farewell tours.
Quite true, thank you for rephrasing.
 #1389777  by Zuccaraillo

SEPTA Fan 235 wrote:
nomis wrote:Rephrase that question ... Will septa be willing to charter an AEM / ALP excursion if an organization organizes it? Both the Philly NRHS and the Friends of Philadelphia Trolleys ran Silverliner II & III farewell tours.
Quite true, thank you for rephrasing.
Since Amtrak chartered theirs I am unsure....but I am hoping that the ALP-44 does get preserved. Interested if SEPTA will charter a Silverliner IV excursion in the coming years.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: spelling is everything
 #1389819  by jackintosh11

For Amtrak, the AEM-7s were an incredibly important part of their history, and they worked well. SEPTA's have been a maintenance headache and aren't nearly as important to their history. Therefore, I don't think it really makes sense for them to run a farewell trip. They would be the last agency operating the AEM-7, and are already the only ones left running DCs, so I could see a farewell trip based on that at some point.
 #1389846  by South Jersey Budd

Do you think that the Philadelphia Chapter NRHS would want to sponsor a farewell to the SEPTA AEM-7 trip? They always seem to be a good organization regarding trips. ( Publications too ). I agree the impact of the AEM-7 ( and F40 ) were instrumental in the stabilization of AMTRAK through the years more than to SEPTA. They were never really used enough or properly at SEPTA.

And today there was a Bombardier set to West Trenton, even though 3 units show out of service at Frazer. 2302, 2307 & 2308.
 #1389959  by rslitman

I've seen the push pulls on 6325 and 6378 in recent weeks. This morning, 6321 had a push-pull set while 6325 had V's. I didn't see the trains yesterday or Tuesday, and on Monday, the train assignments may have been based on what went out on Friday. So this could be a long-term change due to the new schedules that went into effect this week.
 #1391026  by South Jersey Budd

2308 was back in service Monday and subsequently died on its first trip in from Frazer.

The Elwyn AEM-7 set has been moved to West Trenton due to the Swathmore work. So 6321-6378 will have a set all summer.
 #1391320  by glennk419

Those toasters just became a whole lot more valuable. Anyone know why they remain out of service?
 #1392136  by 60 Car

On the shop tour that was part of the Amtrak AEM7 trip, we were told that the AEM7AC's that were still on the property were leased, and Amtrak was performing inspections for the owner (the bank) prior to disposition.
I was surprised that so many units were still financed.

Any that Amtrak owned outright were probably the ones that have already been cut up.

Given the current equipment situation, I'm surprised a couple of those haven't been offered for lease....
 #1392144  by DutchRailnut

you still need cars, no matter how many engines you can round up.
 #1392215  by South Jersey Budd

Looking at the train extra numbers In the morning.
The West Trenton set goes through to it looks like Bryn Mawr and back as a local.
A Newark or Frazer set goes to Lansdale and back.
At night.
A Frazer set does a Neshaminy local before heading back.
 #1392437  by R36 Combine Coach

Zuccaraillo wrote:Since Amtrak chartered theirs I am unsure....but I am hoping that the ALP-44 does get preserved. Interested if SEPTA will charter a Silverliner IV excursion in the coming years.
Silverliner IV - I'd say yes. These were and are the backbone of Regional Rail for more than 40 years and recent events illustrate how valuable they are. They are also the last "heritage" equipment still running (delivered under the auspices of PC and RDG).