• Advice Needed: Possible Move to the Red Bank NJ Area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jersey_Mike

I am actually going to be working at Fort Monmouth, which I guess is closer to Long Branch than Red Bank.

by Jtgshu

I didn't recommend Keansburg because, personally, I don't like that town, and I would steer clear of it...........they are trying like heck to bring it back, the Amusement park is doing great, but their police force has MANY internal troubles, along with the town government. While these too bodies bicker back adn forth, the town goes down the crapper. Maybe in a few years, but right now, i would avoid Keansburg

"Pier Villiage" is built on the location and surrounding neighborhood of Kid's World (a GREAT place) and the Long Branch pier. They were just approved withiin a few weeks of building a new pier with possible ferry service to NYC.

by Jtgshu

Fort Monmouth is so big that one side of it isn't far from Red Bank, while the other side isn't far from North Long Branch........sort of a six of one, half dozen of the other kind of thing

by BlockLine_4111

I recall the consignment store and scary tattoo parlor nextdoor alongside the Henry Hudson trail (ex-CNJ line). I think this is Keansburg or Union Beach.

by njtmnrrbuff

The coastline passes right by Ft. Mommouth. In fact, you could probaly get some nice shots around there. Keansburg is not that attractive, as with parts of LB. Elberon seems like a nice area, and that is in W. LB. This is the first stop on the dieselized section of the coastline.

by Diamond_D

there are crummy parts of north Long Branch just in from the ocean, and I'm sure there are some other less-desirable neighborhoods in the region, but for the most part, Little Silver (the train station there is 30 seconds down the road from one entrance to Ft. Monmouth), Oceanport (next to Little Silver), Red Bank, Middletown, all in that area is pretty nice, just steer clear of Asbury Park

by hsr_fan

I think they're actually building expensive townhouses in Asbury Park where the amusement park used to be! I guess maybe that area is slowly coming back.

by pgengler

hsr_fan wrote:I think they're actually building expensive townhouses in Asbury Park where the amusement park used to be! I guess maybe that area is slowly coming back.
Asbury Park looks like it's slowly trying to make a comeback. I've been that way a few times for concerts (at the Stone Pony and the convention center) and while the town still definitely looks like it's seen better days, there was definitely some new construction going on near the waterfront. Still didn't seems like a place I would want to live, though.

by BlockLine_4111

Stone Pony still there ?

by pgengler

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Stone Pony still there ?
Yep, it's still around. I haven't been there in about a year and a half or so, but I'm still getting the newsletter, so I'm pretty sure it's still there. It feels almost like it's the only thing still in Asbury Park, though.

by Diamond_D

Springsteen has kept the town alive by doing shows about once a year there which bring thousands of people, and all the money raised goes right back into the town in various charities. His association with the Stone Pony is all that's kept it alive for the past 4 or 5 years, and the only reason the Palace Amusements hung around as long as it did (a shame they tore that one down).

They are finally starting to do construction, and people are slowly moving back in, but businesses on Main St and Cookman Ave are still failing, and it will be quite a while before it will no longer be a dump overall.

by Lackawanna484

Diamond_D wrote:Springsteen has kept the town alive by doing shows about once a year there which bring thousands of people, and all the money raised goes right back into the town in various charities. His association with the Stone Pony is all that's kept it alive for the past 4 or 5 years, and the only reason the Palace Amusements hung around as long as it did (a shame they tore that one down).

They are finally starting to do construction, and people are slowly moving back in, but businesses on Main St and Cookman Ave are still failing, and it will be quite a while before it will no longer be a dump overall.
Asbury Park might make it, after all. There's a steady influx of artists, musicians, some young straight couples, etc. There are pockets where the town loks a lot better. But the town still has a lot of problems to overcome in the drugs, schools, etc area.

by JLo

It didn't help that the last two political administrations were engaged in graft of epic proportions and every redeveloper but for the current one either went bankrupt or to jail.

I predict in 10 years, the Park between the rails and the Ocean will be nicer than Ocean Grave next door.

As for working at Fort Monmouth, there are a bunch of apartments in Tinton Falls, Shrewsbury and Eatontown, which are all very close to the entrance of Rt 35 to Ft Mnmth.
  by 1st Barnegat

Jersey_Mike wrote:I am considering taking a job in the Red Bank/Long Branch area [Fort Monmouth] and I was wondering if youse guys could give me any adive [sic] on how the railfanning and the railfan community is in that area ...
As Jt said, most of the railfanning would be of NJT, but if you want to railfan freight, look for the SA31 on its once or twice weekly shove from Browns Yard to Lakehurst (mostly), via Red Bank. More at: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118

Long term parking at the NJCL stations in the area is at a premium. I know of one guy who pays a "scalper" to park at South Amboy while he waits for a NJT parking spot to open up. Similarly, the Matawan parking agent told me, "if you don't arrive by 6AM, the daily parking spots will be almost all gone." (She's right about that).

Many of the Military personnel assigned to the base live in Tinton Falls. Must be a good reason.

In addition to the areas others mentioned, you could look for a house or an appartment in Neptune City or Belmar.

by Camelback

I live in Atlantic Highlands and pastor a church in Belford. Belford has homes that are relatively reasonable, mostly three bedroom homes on small lots. Atlantic Highlands is pricier but the western side of town is a little more reasonable.

As far as railfanning goes, if you are in Red Bank during rush hour you will see plenty of trains with a good deal of diversity of equipment. You can sit at the station or find a good spot near the Navisink River bridge. There is a hobby shop in town with almost a whole floor devoted to trains. The staff is very helpful. Judging from what is kept in stock, I would say that the store is best for people in O or G but you can get decent HO stuff.

Until last summer I lived in western Hunterdon county and did most of my railfanning along the Lehigh Line. It is apples and oranges. The Lehigh Line is great if you like freight and the coast line is great if you like passenger. I haven't found a club yet but there are a number of model railroaders in my congregation.