Railroad Forums 

• ACRR Sicklertown Station

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#249368  by rrbluesman

As a native of Sicklerville, I have become interested in the former Atlantic City Railroad branch line that passed through Sicklertown coming from a junction at Atco. I have been able to find very little information about the Atlantic City Railroad much less the branch that passed through Sicklertown and eventually traveled to Mullica Hill. Does anyone know where that line would once have passed through Sicklerville or where Sicklertown Station may once have been?
 #249463  by David

rrbluesman wrote:As a native of Sicklerville, I have become interested in the former Atlantic City Railroad branch line that passed through Sicklertown coming from a junction at Atco. I have been able to find very little information about the Atlantic City Railroad much less the branch that passed through Sicklertown and eventually traveled to Mullica Hill. Does anyone know where that line would once have passed through Sicklerville or where Sicklertown Station may once have been?

Here is some possible help--From Williamstown Jct. to Sicklertown was 3.2 miles along the tracks. There was another stop between Williamstown Jct. and Sicklertown; that was called Andrews which was 2.5 miles. After Sicklertown was Radix 4.9 miles then Williamstown at 6.5 miles. Information from Official Guide of the Railways September 1927. So if you walk the ROW from Williamstown Jct. 3.2 miles you might be exactly at the station site--LOL. Hope this helps.

#249489  by rrbluesman

If I were to follow down the right of way from Williamstown Jct would I start by walking down from the end of the exisiting industrial spur that cuts through the certainteed and agregate company plants? I've never been clear exactly what would have been considered the juction point of Williamstown Junction onto the ACRR.

#249526  by Steam man

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... =10999&W=1

Here's an arial veiw of Williamstown Jct.at the above link. The road that runs from bottom left to mid-top is Wiiliamstown Rd. The ACRR main runs from mid-top to bottom right. If you look just to the southeast of the crossing at Williamstown Rd., you'll see the roadbed of the Williamstown Branch aprroximately following parallel to it.

If you are headed towards Tansboro from Williamstown, when you get to the railroad ,turn right on Grove St, which runs along the old ACRR main and about a third of the way between Williamstown Rd. and New Brooklyn Rd., you'll be in the area where the actual junction was.

As far as I can figure from some old maps and using Terra-Server,I think Sicklertown Station was in the area of Sicklerville Rd and Thousand Oaks Drive. The old roadbed lines up with Drexel Gate Drive,so this would fit in about right. Hope this helps you some.

#249713  by JimBoylan

The Atlantic City Railroad book also has a history of this line. It connected with the Atsion branch of the Southern RR of New Jersey (later Jersey Central Lines) where it crossed the Camden & Atlantic RR at Atco.

In 1957, the Delaware Valley Short Line trolley museum which was moving to Tansboro, N.J., had plans to relay track and run to Williamstown. They went so far as to make destination signs for their car 5205 and negotiate with the property owners between Williamstown Jct. and Williamstown. I don't know what they intended to do about the short active stretch of the branch on the Tansboro side of the Atlantic City RR that served the sand pit.

#250060  by Steam man

Here's a couple old maps from the late 1800's and early 1900's that I Photo-Shopped up to show the location of Sicklerville and the route of the Williamstown Branch. I still don't know for sure where the station was in relation to the road ((north side /south side) but it appears to have been in the vicinity of the little red general store on Sicklerille Rd. See maps: