Railroad Forums 

• Abandoning the former BR&P through Orchard Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#809842  by MarkT

nessman wrote:Abandonment is to MP 8.4, but the rails may be left in place to the depot (MP 8.9) if the various parties involved can work something out.
What is 8.4, 84 Lumber? Now there is an irony. Isn't that basically the last customer? Cutting back to there you can eventually eliminate the huge 20A bridge
 #809844  by nessman

MP 8.4 looks like the Thorn Road crossing. My guess is if they don't leave tracks to the depot, it's likely they'll abandon to just north of the crossing so it's one less thing for the RR to maintain, but provide them with some trackage for car storage and the such past 84 Lumber.
 #810228  by SST

Is there any traffic to 84 lumber? The past several times I've gone over the line while driving on Rt 219 and before the salvage crew, the rails were corroded and no sign of usage.
 #810381  by fiend540

SST wrote:Is there any traffic to 84 lumber? The past several times I've gone over the line while driving on Rt 219 and before the salvage crew, the rails were corroded and no sign of usage.
I noticed a car there withing the last month
 #1078016  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:Tracks south of the Jewett Holmwood crossing:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=173211
Dual-gauge! Fascinating!

But seriously ... Can somebody tell me where the tracks currently end? From peering at the Google aerial photos, it looks like the tracks currently end just north of the Jewett Holmwood "crossing", and the rails thebigham photographed on the south have been pulled. It also looks like the rails remain at the OP station and whatever is the associated building (freight?) to the northwest. Does it have a string of two boxcars and a caboose on rails?

FYI, the Bing bird's eye photo from the west shows a plywood car sitting on the siding at 84 Lumber, with a copyright date of 2012. It agrees with Google overhead photos that the tracks end just north of Jewett Holmwood. The Google streetview photos, however, show the crossing and tracks still present there and at other crossings to the south.

Best I can tell on the south end, the tracks stop at the junction with the siding which serves the Western New York Nuclear Service Center, said junction also bearing the name Riceville Station.
 #1078191  by AbandonedRailroader

RussNelson wrote: But seriously ... Can somebody tell me where the tracks currently end?
The google overhead shot is up to date. The tracks end about 75 feet north of Jewett Holmwood Road. It's believe it was left in place for storage. I'll grab a picture next time i go past there.