Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned spurs in Rochester NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1380194  by Apete2

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the following trackage?

1) NYC old main- switch at Hauge St off the Runner is gone, tracks heavily overgrown but still in place at crossings at Child st, Ames at, and Murray st. No industry left after the soccer stadium was built. Is this officially abandoned?

2) Falls road west of the canal- tracks still in place over the bridge and a heavily overgrown spur to Metalico. Lee road crossing gone but tracks still in place from Lee to 390.

3) RSR from Dewey to Stonewood- ties across tracks and heavily overgrown.
 #1380330  by Conrail6467

I know for a fact the old main east from Hauge is abandoned. As for the Falls Road, I believe CSX still considers it "Active" but it hasn't been used in a while. RSR rarely uses those tracks, and in fact they now "End" with two ties crossed at Dewey. With Matthews and Fields no longer a customer for the RSR, They just use it as head room for KP, I believe. Hope this helps!
 #1380681  by nessman

The end of track under 390 for the Falls Industrial is where the abandonment to Brockport began. The track however is out of service.

Has the Old Main been officially abandoned by the STB? Or is it just out of service?
 #1380688  by lvrr325

While the crossing at Murray street has one crossbuck with a "tracks out of service" sign on it, the only track even present is the rail through the street for one track. The rest is gone. Hauge St, the same thing, just one crossbuck. They both say two tracks but only one set of rails crosses the pavement. There are fences built across the ROW in a couple places, too.

Almost looks like they've purposely left just enough to be able to restore it if necessary, but they don't really expect to.