Railroad Forums 

• Abandonded Station near Smyrna

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#547753  by davemattfan5

I was traveling back from rehoboth beach two weeks ago and my friends and I decided to take the Back roads via GPS. We ended up near Marydel, MD. We started heading in the direction of Smyrna, DE after that and I noticed some tracks paralleled the road right next to us for awhile. After 1/2 an Hour and still following the tracks somewhat, I noticed a yellow, abandoned, PRR-style station sitting just off to the right of the road. I cannot find any information on this station or remember where exactly it was since I was not driving. Does anyone know of anything like this in the area?

I'm not sure of the road we were on, but it could have been DE 11, DE 8, or something completely different.

It was next to the line...maybe the CHRR...in the middle of the field.
 #549660  by Aardvark

Hello,
Rehoboth Beach to Marydel and then to Smyrna. Good thing you had a GPS! Unfortunately, without a little more detail its hard to say which station you were at. The line that went through Marydel was the former CHRR and was operated by Penn Central/PRR as the Oxford branch. Luckily most of the stations were exactly alike and resemble the one in this picture
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=38668
That line is dotted with several of these stations, some have been moved and are in use like the one in the picture, others are just rotting where they stand.
 #551679  by davemattfan5

Now, if Dog Fish Head's 120 Minute IPA wasn't getting the best of me at the time, that is exactly what it looked like. I received a reply from someone else on the boards to my e-mail. They suggested that it was the Goldsboro, MD station, which was moved away from its current location then moved back as part of an entrance to a housing development. I looked into Goldsboro and it is a defninte possibility,altoough, MSN maps bird's eye view has no data on this area and aerial shots are no good at that height. I am wondering what its current status is now with the housing slump. You say the line is dotted with these? Where is the one in the photo? Where are there more?
 #556662  by Aardvark

The station in Goldsboro has several windows boarded up. I was waiting until I could put eyeballs on it again before I resposted. The station in the above picture is located in Henderson as described in the picture details, but it is not the original Henderson station, it was relocated from somewhere else on the line and was standing at the entrance to a trailer park across the street from the tracks. I say was, because its been a few years since I have actually seen it, it may still be there.