Railroad Forums 

• A Ma & Pa question...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#197962  by Jason W

I was rereading one of my newest Model Railroaders and saw a line in an article about a modeler who recreated the Ma & Pa. He stated that there was enough traffic to keep "several crews busy". I'm not from the area but like most railfans have a passing interest in this line. I had thought this line was a "down one day up the next" sort of affair, even in the late steam era. Guess I was wrong, eh? How much traffic was there at this time (the late 40's)? How many train movements a day were there? How many of those were passenger versus freight/yard moves? Were there manifest trains that would run all the way from York to Baltimore as well as locals? Thank you for any replies.

P.S. I am aware that there is an excellent book about this railroad, but the answer to my query is not "go buy the book". There is no logical reason to go buy a $65 dollar book to answer one question that my fellow railfans can answer for free on the internet. If I become more interested in this railroad then I'll look into the book...

#203987  by choess

$65? The paperback is $19.95, is that a more acceptable price point?
 #204088  by henry6

Also check your local library...even if they don't have it they might be able to get it for you. And railfan friends in NRHS, R&LHS, or NMRA or any other local group.