Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1584343  by gprimr1

I was riding the subway today and I was amazed at how many signals there are between 36th Street and 9th Ave.

I know there is a yard there, but I also know there's tracks leading to the lower level platforms and ramps without rails that lead up from the west end of the tunnel as well, so I imagine the whole area was once a lot busier than it is.

Has there ever been any discussion about realigning the tracks so that there are fewer signals needed?
 #1584355  by STrRedWolf

gprimr1 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 am I was riding the subway today and I was amazed at how many signals there are between 36th Street and 9th Ave.

I know there is a yard there, but I also know there's tracks leading to the lower level platforms and ramps without rails that lead up from the west end of the tunnel as well, so I imagine the whole area was once a lot busier than it is.

Has there ever been any discussion about realigning the tracks so that there are fewer signals needed?
The Tracks of the NYC Subway book has the reason for that: it was to be for the New Ultrect Avenue Line. From what I can tell now, this line was rerouted to it's current route and has a connection past the turn to a new acceptance facility that was to be built on the site of the Third Avenue yard. Right now, it looks to be just a lay-up yard there and a connection to South Brooklyn Railway.
 #1585603  by Allan

gprimr1 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 am I was riding the subway today and I was amazed at how many signals there are between 36th Street and 9th Ave.

The ramps were used by some trains from the 5th Avenue El.

As far as a track realignment, it would cost money, so unless there is an operational problem the MTA will just leave it as is.