Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Jeff Smith

Lhota thinks it might be a good idea to extend the 7 to Chelsea/23rd Street and the West Side Highway.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/p ... nd-west-si
M.T.A. chairman Joe Lhota this morning said he would like to see another extension of the 7 train, to provide more mass transit access to underserved parts of Manhattan's west side.

"As far as big projects are concerned, I can actually see the extension of the No. 7 train to other parts of New York City's west side," said Lhota, speaking on a panel at the Regional Plan Association's 22nd annual regional assembly.

Lhota said, it's something he'd like to see "go all the way down to 23rd Street, and the West Side Highway, so we can incorporate that portion of the west side that's not receiving a whole lot of coverage."

Right now, the M.T.A. is in the process of extending the No. 7 line to 11th Avenue and 34th Street, and there had been some discussion of extending it yet further, to Secaucus, N.J. (Lhota threw water on that idea earlier this month.)
Secaucus is discussed here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 1#p1035721
  by Fan Railer

The 23rd street extension has been a possibility since the extension to 34th street was designed. They have provisions for that extension as it is, since tail tracks from 34th street are supposed to run down to 23rd street for overnight train storage anyway.
  by Jeff Smith

New revenue service to start June 2014, six months later than originally planned:

http://transportationnation.org/2012/06 ... y-planned/
N read with interest today’s New York Post story stating that the the #7 subway extension to Manhattan’s far west side won’t be open until June 2014 — six months later than originally planned.
Also seems like the MTA needs to get their web-site in order. I've noted that as well; updates seem to be haphazard.
  by lirr42

The MTA uploaded a video onto its YouTube Channel Tuesday showing an update to the (7) Subway Extension to the Javits Center.

It gives you some cool looks into the station and some renderings of what it's going to look like when it's done. It looks like it is shaping up to be really nice (and guess what else it's going to include--a sideways elevator!)

You can view the video here: 7 Subway Extension - 12/3/2012 Update
  by R36 Combine Coach

Several recent news stories stated that the 7 Extension to 34 Street would be completed by the end of the year, in December [2013]. The MTA still states revenue service in June 2014. Which is the most accurate and current estimate?

R36 Preservation hopes to have historic 1964 Flushing Line R36 "World's Fair" cars running for the opening of the extension.
  by lirr42

Considering the MTA knows what's going on better than some news agencies, I'd say the June 2014 date is more realistic. Having seen photos of the progress myself, I highly doubt that it will be done by December. But you never know.
  by Max Power

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013041 ... ctric-eels

Electric Eels Threaten 7 Train Extension, Says MTA Board Member Updated 8 mins ago
April 17, 2013 7:12am | By Jill Colvin, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

NEW YORK CITY — An MTA board member is urging the transit agency to consider using plastic pipes when constructing the 7-train extension because of a voltage risk he believes could be posed by electric eels — despite experts saying the creature cannot survive here.

He wondered whether a similar waiver should be considered as crews complete the 7-train extension and develop the Hudson Yards.

"That's the issue. Does it apply to the 7 line and does it apply to the area where the Hudson Yards is?" he asked.

But marine wildlife experts told DNAinfo that electric eels pose zero risk to the MTA, or anything else along the Hudson, because they don't live in the waterway.

“I can tell you definitively there are no electric eels in New York City," said Chris Bowser, the eel project coordinator at the Hudson River Eel Project and a science educator for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, who also works for the Cornell University's Water Resource Institute.
Gotta love that answer---I'm sure he had to self-edit everything he wanted to say after "No."

edited post to comply with "fair-use" policy
  by lirr42

Thomas wrote:How deep is the new station at 34th street? Also, how many tracks will be served at the Javits Center Station?
Very deep and two tracks. It will work just like Times Square does now, two stub tracks with a pair of crossovers and an island platform.