Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1062976  by M&Eman

I noticed the next scheduled Fastrack closure is the IND Sixth Avenue Line. Looking over a map, I realized this involves closing the Chrystie St. Connection, leaving no way to get between the West End and Concourse Lines, complicating reroutes for the D within Manhattan for the duration of the closure, similar to the reroutes they did this week putting 8th Avenue Line trains on the 6th Avenue Line.

I then realized what they must plan on doing is swapping the termini of the D and F, leaving these two lines overnight in lieu of the normal overnight Sixth Avenue trains:

Concourse local-8th Avenue Express-Culver Local
Queens Boulevard Express-Broadway Express-West End Local.

Could an insider confirm if this is what the MTA has planned? If this is not their plan, what do they plan on doing? Will they be offering any through-service, or will this be more like the 7th Avenue Line Fastrack, with mostly branch shuttles to transfer stations?
 #1063051  by M&Eman

Well the service change is up and they decided to break the D up into two parts and run the F via the 59th Street Tunnel and 8th Ave. line, as well as extending the Q. That's a shame. Though I see they are having the D run local. I guess no bonus express service on 8th Avenue. Darn, I liked my elegant solution better.
 #1063285  by Allan

M&Eman wrote:Well the service change is up and they decided to break the D up into two parts and run the F via the 59th Street Tunnel and 8th Ave. line, as well as extending the Q. That's a shame. Though I see they are having the D run local. I guess no bonus express service on 8th Avenue. Darn, I liked my elegant solution better.
The F will be running via the 53rd St tunnel (on the E line), not the 59th St tunnel.

The reason the D is local on 8th Av is because it will terminate at 2nd Av. The only track leading from the 8th Av line (after W4th St) down to the 6th Av line is on the local track. On the 8th Av line there is only 1 switch from express track to local track before W4th St. That switch is just before 34th St. As such they have the D run local all the way from 59th St to W4th St.

The F will return to its regular route by using the same track connection south of W4th St.

The Fastrack info page for the B, D, F, M
http://mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_BDFM.htm

As to this:
Concourse local-8th Avenue Express-Culver Local
Queens Boulevard Express-Broadway Express-West End Local.

The first one is the original routing of the D train starting in 1954 when the IND connection from Church Av to the Culver line (BMT territory) bringing the iND down to Coney Island.

The second would be a very interesting routing - it confuse the passengers totally to see the F train on the Broadway line and West End line. Who knows, it may happen one day if there is a problem on the 6th Av line and they can't send F trains vis the 53rd St tunnel.