Railroad Forums 

• 3018 and 3022 to Dansville, NY, for rebuild?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#333526  by Steve F45

where is the 3018? Wasn't there an additional sd45 there not including 3634?

what else is there?

#333562  by amoreho1

maybe they skipped the middle man and took it directly to utica

#333590  by ANDY117

WHen I went by there on my way to the RIT show, I saw the 120 and what appeared to be the 3614. They were parked out front. And isn't 3634 still in service?

#333594  by Steve F45

3634 hasn't been in service for months.

#333858  by thebigham

2005Vdub wrote:3634 hasn't been in service for months.
What's wrong with it?

#333904  by Steve F45

if i remember correctly it was supposed to get shipped to dansville fro repair, but there has not been any confirmation of it going or beeing there. And it has not been on a road train in atleast 2 1/2 months.

AMP

#340466  by N_DL640A

3018 is back, 3614 is still there. The 120 was sold to AMP, it will be the AMP shop switcher after they rebuild or replace the freeze damaged block.

#340686  by Spartan Phalanx

Is the 120 the SW-9 that was included in the Staten Island Railway deal? NYSW does'nt need switchers anymore?

#340729  by bystander

no switchers rae redundint

#340735  by scottychaos

bystander wrote:no switchers rae redundint
oh punctuation, I miss you so.

First, I assume "rea redundint" means "are redundant"
Then I couldn't figure out what "no switchers are redundant" means.
not one switcher is redundant? not anywhere in the world?
that doesn't make any sense..

then I realized you actually meant to say "no, (COMMA!) switchers are redundant." which has a totally different meaning.

and still makes no sense.
because, of course, switchers are not redundant..thousands are in use, performing the duties for which they were designed and built.

Scot

#340738  by RichM

Since we're piling on here anyway...

for all the newbies, a lot of these topics have been covered in older topics. You might try the search function first...

But since it is Christmastime... friction bearings. Nothing wrong with owning dedicated switchers, but when this one has friction bearings, it limits its use. An industrial operator can run it on its own rails, but without a major rebuild it's no longer suitable for common carrier service.

So, I believe the last informed speculation was that it would be used at the plant and eventually refitted with roller bearings. I guess that's a reasonable assumption for a time when time and money both exist, and a resale market may exist too.

#340881  by N_DL640A

The 120 was sold because the engine froze. It was already frozen when I came to NYSW in '03.
It was the Utica shop switcher when it froze up.
Plain bearings were not a problem because it never went very far.
They looked into buying a replacement engine or reparing the one that was in there, but it was decided that it wasn't important enough to the NYSW to fix.

#341810  by cjvrr

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Is the 120 the SW-9 that was included in the Staten Island Railway deal? NYSW does'nt need switchers anymore?

YES

hi

#341881  by thebigham

So #3614 is the only NYS&W engine still at Dansville, correct?