Railroad Forums 

• 3 More Quiet Zones for Hamburg CSX/NS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1425289  by BR&P

Coal is facing not only the opposition of the environmental types, but also the availability of cheap and abundant natural gas. It's a double whammy but if we can get back to a rational approach, there can be a resurgence in mining and related jobs (such as transportation) and still maintain good air quality. Today's scrubbers and related equipment on coal plants are many times more efficient in reducing emissions than we used to be.

Anybody who has seem pictures of early 1900's steel mills and coke ovens with smoke blotting out the sun will admit - if they are rational - that our environment is many times cleaner than it used to be. Homes, schools and industries no longer heat with coal. Skies are blue instead of black. Far from a crisis, we are well on the road of helping the environment. Railroads are a big part of that, hauling freight much farther on a gallon of fuel than trucks do.

As for the quiet zone - trying to stay on topic here - NIMBY idiots are everywhere, not just near the rails. Some friends and i were talking and one mentioned an airport which was built way out in the boonies near a city. Over time, development crept in and gradually people were bellyaching about the airplane noise. So they built another airport even farther away, and now development is following and soon THAT will come under protest. It's time somebody had the ____s to tell these morons "That's the way it is. Be upset all you want, be offended all you want, but suck it up and deal with it - or else move someplace else if you think that's better!" If it was up to me there would be no such things as quiet zones.
 #1425321  by charlie6017

You guys are preaching the truth........without also getting carried away, society today caters to
the belly-achers. It gets extremely frustrating. :(

Charlie
 #1425330  by videobruce

The whiners seem to win, especially ones that only care about money; their money!
 #1425353  by BR&P

I don't see where it's anything to do with their money except maybe property values (no small consideration). But anybody within 2 miles of a crossing could say the same thing.

Those who want the quiet zones should be made to pay the cost of lane dividers, extra gates and lights, or whatever the requirements are in a given location.
 #1426672  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:I don't see where it's anything to do with their money except maybe property values (no small consideration). But anybody within 2 miles of a crossing could say the same thing.

Those who want the quiet zones should be made to pay the cost of lane dividers, extra gates and lights, or whatever the requirements are in a given location.

Yeah people and I in our home development had this small tax or fee added to our property taxes to cover stupid street lights that I don't want to have. If town/county can do that to us, then they should do the same by apply these small tax/fees to these people living near these crossings since they want that...