Railroad Forums 

• 2022 World Series: Philadelphia Phillies vs. Houston Astros

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1608947  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: With the Phillies reaching the 2022 World Series is SEPTA, PATCO and NJT making plans for the upcoming games at Citizens Bank Park - and in the event of a victory over the Houston Astros a celebratory parade? The Broad Street Line will be the most important access route to NRG/Pattison Station as we know...

The WS games are Friday-Saturday October 28-29 in Houston
Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday October 31, November 1-2* in Philadelphia
Friday-Saturday November 4-5 in Houston* (*if necessary) - All games are 8 PM EDT

The Phillies were in the World Series for two consecutive years in 2008 and 2009... The Phillies won the 2008 WS over the Tampa Bay Rays and lost to the New York Yankees in 2009...

The big rail news back then concerned the 2008 Victory Parade in which parts of the system - especially RRD - had major crowding and other service problems on Parade Day - which turned out to be scheduled on Friday October 31 - end of week and month pass sales added to operational problems with long sales office lines in Center City Philadelphia in particular making this day a memorable one for many reasons...

In 2009 the WS period also coincided with what turned out to be a CTD strike just hours after the last scheduled WS game in Philadelphia - there was apprehension about serious transit problems in the event of a Phillies WS victory remembering the SEPTA system problems encountered one year earlier...

I looked back in the SEPTA/PATCO Forum Archive and found four topics that covered the 2008 and 2009 WS. Instead of reactivating one of these past topics posting the links are more appropriate to this discussion:
SEPTA prepared to feed into Phillies fever - 9 pages 121 posts - October 21 to November 6, 2008
septa-prepared-to-feed-into-phillies-fever-t56017.html
SEPTA ridership at historic high for Parade - 5 pages 70 posts - November 1 to 6, 2008
septa-ridership-at-historic-high-for-parade-t56342.html
PATCO and the World Series Parade - 9 posts - November 3 to 10, 2008
patco-and-the-world-series-parade-t56403.html
All three of these topics can be found on Archive Page 23
2009 Phillies preparations - 9 pages 130 posts (topic locked) - October 20 to November 5, 2009 - Archive Page 19
2009-phillies-preparations-t66015.html

The 2022 World Series period is going to be an interesting time for SEPTA and PATCO - and the entire DV region. Let's see how all of this plays out (pun intended)...MACTRAXX
 #1609037  by MACTRAXX

Ryan and RCT: I agree SEPTA learned a harsh lesson from the problems encountered back on October 31, 2008. This is the topic about the Eagles Victory Parade - Forum Archive Page 3 - February 5 to 14, 2018 - 3 pages 43 posts: philadelphia-eagles-victory-parade-2-8- ... 66909.html

SEPTA was smart to sell Legacy Independence Passes to many riders on Parade Day - and thanks to a corporate sponsor both the MFSE and BSL offered free rides for Parade goers adding to better passenger flow...

The difference this time around is the SEPTA Key card and Quick Trip cash fares - Will the Key fare system be able to handle the huge ridership burden of a Phillies Victory Parade crowd? Legacy I passes were visually inspected - Tokens were easier to handle as a single ride rapid transit fare - free MFSE and BSL rides made this a moot point.

I am looking forward to the 2022 World Series as a baseball fan - and it will be a very interesting 9 days* for the City of Philadelphia and Phillies fans(*if the WS goes 7 games)...MACTRAXX
 #1609055  by PHLSpecial

I kinda wish the Septa mobile passes was implemented sooner. I have the app in beta. The basics work but it needs more features and passes. Would have been perfect for this week when the WS is going on.
Also Septa need's to run 5 minute headways on the BSL during game hours. I was on the BSL line during the Eagles and Cowboys and it was overfilled. I can imagine for the WS it's going to be the same.
 #1609311  by ChesterValley

I was here for the 2018 superbowl parade. I already had a Trailpass for going to the city and I had to get to class the day before. After the announcement for the special tickets the day of the parade, all inbound trains were running massively behind schedule.

For me with the Trailpass it was fine, just show the conductor. After the train passed by I think it was Ardmore or so (memmory is fuzzy) the train was standing room only, and from Overbrook into the city the conductor was just collecting cash with no receipts by hand. No idea what the legality on that was but that's what was done. I stayed overnight with the some people which a lot of people did, and to get home I took the El to 69th and took the NHSL up to as close as I could get to my car. MFL was packed and the NHSL wasn't much better, a lot of people didn't realize there were flag stops as most of the riders had never taken the NHSL before.

That aside, I'm concerned about a world series parade. Assuming that something similar happens what could happen is a bunch of suburbanites trying to get one way tickets out of the station or all trying to buy key's, or the other problem that may present itself of network overload. I think the gates at the center city stations will probably be overcrowded the night before again unless people just jump the turnstiles or take the emergency exits. If the Phils win the world series I think SEPTA wont have the 2008 meltdown again on the operations side, but the Key is going to get a stress test
 #1609468  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

According to SEPTA press release, BSS service leaving games 3 and 4 will be free to passengers, sponsored by Miller Lite and Penn Medicine, respectively.

https://www5.septa.org/media/news/sept ... ies-games/

(Dates in press release not yet updated to reflect one day delay in Series schedule due to tonight’s rainout.)
 #1609528  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - With the 10/31 rainout the 2022 World Series schedule is moved back by MLB one day:
Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday November 1-2-3 at Citizens Bank Park - 8 PM EDT
Saturday-Sunday November 5-6 at Houston* 8 PM EDT Sa; 8 PM EST Su. (*If Necessary)

PHL:
1-The SEPTA payment app is primarily for regular riders and commuters - the majority of WS attendees
are only using SEPTA as an alternate to driving to the Sports Complex and dealing with traffic and high
parking lot prices on game dates and otherwise most likely do not use public transportation...

2-Does the BSL have enough equipment and train operators to provide service every five minutes during
major Sports Complex events (WS and Eagles LFF home games)? Running 5 extra Game Express trains S
to NRG/Pattison and then using most or all of the storage capacity of the station including the rarely-used
lower level tracks has been adequate for BSL riders...On Game days patrons arrive gradually - depending
on the outcome of the game in question ridership will A)-Have a high peak demand after game time with
a victory -or- B)-Leave over a longer period of time losing or with a significant loss...The BSL service north
has to be ready for either depending on the circumstance...

3-A World Series Parade is going to be a special event that has a high demand for the BSL - and for that
matter the rest of SEPTA's rail system...SEPTA now has the two past victory parades for reference as to
how the system handled the crowds - with as least a little lead time a good SEPTA plan can be in place.

Ryan and CV: SEPTA would be smart to offer a visually inspected (commemorative) pass for a Parade
Day celebration valid anywhere - keeping pressure off the Key system. Free sponsored BSL and MFSE
rides will help matters as it did for the February 2018 Eagles parade as noted in that topic.

Getting corporate sponsors allowing free after-WS game BSL rides is a good start to relieve entrance
crowding and lines at NRG/Pattison...Will there be any further free WS transit service offered?

Update - Game 3: Phillies 7, Astros 0 for a two games to one WS lead for the Phillies...MACTRAXX
 #1609581  by ChesterValley

MACTRAXX wrote: Ryan and CV: SEPTA would be smart to offer a visually inspected (commemorative) pass for a Parade
Day celebration valid anywhere - keeping pressure off the Key system. Free sponsored BSL and MFSE
rides will help matters as it did for the February 2018 Eagles parade as noted in that topic.
I'm sorry, I should clarify. Regional Rail was fine for the passes that were issued for the day of the parade. The RR usage strain I was referring to came the day before when people who didn't get passes took the late night trains into the city, and that was before the COVID service reductions.
 #1609690  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: The 2022 World Series games 4 and 5 were both won by the Houston Astros at CB Park -
Game 4 - Astros 5, Phillies 0 - A rare COMBINED no-hitter for the first time in WS history for four Astro pitchers.
Game 5 - Astros 3, Phillies 2 - The Phillies now need to win Game 6 to force (and then win) Game 7 in Houston...
Any victory (or other such as a welcoming back to PHL) celebration would not be until Sunday-Monday November
6-7 at the earliest...A welcome home for Phillies fans at CB Park (example) would be a much smaller event...

Remember that Tuesday November 8 is Election Day - with the important mid-term 2022 Election at stake...
The Phillies would be smart to avoid scheduling any large event on this day if at all possible...

There are other forums elsewhere to discuss baseball and WS issues - SEPTA would have some lead time in
the case of a Phillies victory (or loss) to plan service to any celebratory parade (or other) event for fans...
In this situation as it stands SEPTA should be prepared for either result...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.