Railroad Forums 

• 2018 Massachusetts State Rail Plan

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1461477  by B&M 1227

Inland Route seems to have evaded a lot of mention here. I'm assuming it'll better settle into the spotlight after Knowledge Corridor service begins to take shape. If MassDot is successful in developing/restoring Springfield as a rail hub, I'm hopeful we'll eventually see a push by MassDot to connect the dots(massDOTS hah).

Ideally it would be nice to see a dual corridor develop between Boston and Berkshire County. Honestly, I don't think it's horrifically unreasonable. Vermont's state rail plan includes passenger service on the CV on the east side of the state and the Western Corridor on the old Rutland Main. The distance between Vermont's routes are comparative to the distance between the B&M and the B&A. Two or three Fitchburg and Worcester Service trains extended to Williamstown and Pittsfield respectively would provide nearly-reasonable rail service to the entirety of the state. Furthermore, given the decent condition of the B&A, and the potentially decent condition of the B&M, these extensions could be done relatively cheap(at least when compared to South Coast Rail). Both routes could piggyback on the Knowledge Corridor layover facilities. A redesign of/addition to the Greenfield Station would be necessary. Other than that it's just infill on local platforms between Greenfield/Fitchburg and Pittsfield/Worcester, as well as a smattering west of Greenfield. Okay, that's enough (not) wild pitches for the night... take note MassDOT. ;)
 #1461616  by jaymac

No argument from me. (Those susceptible to the power of music should either play or imagine "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys.)
The problems foreseeable would be siting and establishing ADA DOT platforms which would seem to require gauntlet or full-siding trackage and interlockings for full-height platforms to avoid what has happened at the mini-high platforms on both the Worcester and Fitchburg lines.
As much as I'd like to see Athol station derepurposed (mebbe -- but unlikely -- it'd qualify for grandfather exemption). the UGB and OHB just east are probably limitations on that fantasy. Shouldn't be a problem at Orange or MF, assuming a justifying customer base, a different issue.
 #1461823  by jaymac

Following up on the 02-15 post, the House voted later on 02-15 to limit lawsuits under ADA. Dunno what the Senate will do, bu mebbe ADA concerns will be moot.
 #1462810  by leviramsey

jaymac wrote:Following up on the 02-15 post, the House voted later on 02-15 to limit lawsuits under ADA. Dunno what the Senate will do, bu mebbe ADA concerns will be moot.
Probably wouldn't affect the state issues which hold the MBTA at least to a greater-than-federal standard. Whether a non-state-related operator would be covered by that (and only by the federal ADA), who knows?