• 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

Good morning Keolis!
Lowell Train 300 (5:35 am inbound) is cancelled due to a mechanical issue. Train 302 (6:15 am inbound) will be the next train from Lowell.

Affected direction: Inbound
  by octr202

Big cancellation day up north again. The hit list includes:

191/192
304 (with 206 covering Winchester-Wedgemere-West Medford)
285/286 (creating 45 minute gap, which was at least partially filled by a late running 204 - witnessed thru Reading about 10 minutes late)

In addition 202 had 25-35 minutes of mechanical delays, at least as reports, and there were issues with 104 as well in the alerts.
  by dbperry

new blog post with my perspective on what happened on the Framingham-Worcester on Monday 10/24:

http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/mond ... gh-morning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Diverging Route

Stoughton Train 908 (9:15 am inbound) is assisting disabled Train 814 at Hyde Park into Boston and is currently 20-30 minutes behind schedule.

Affected direction: Inbound

Last updated: Oct 26 2016 09:56 AM
  by nomis

Not just one but 2 double drafts at Hyde Park this morning, within the same hour no less. 816 was assisting a disabled 710 on Track 3 at Hyde Park & Readville today. (814+908 was on Track 2)
  by Diverging Route

302 was 15 minutes late this morning, with no T-alert until it was well past Anderson inbound. And usually a 5R, today it was a 4F. Passengers were stuffed into the overhead racks :-D
  by dbperry

The south side protect set has been dispatched to the Framingham-Worcester line both Monday & Tuesday mornings to mitigate meltdowns caused by the anticipated MassPike problems related to toll booth demolition.

Nothing has happened yet - traffic seems to be fine and ridership on F-W hasn't increased enough to cause problems (if it increased at all). Guess we should be happy for the proactive efforts?

On Monday the P500 set was sent to the 4th iron in Framingham after turning in Boston. It usually goes deadhead to Worcester to become the bullet "Heart To Hub" P552 train. The protect set went to Worcester to cover the P552 trip. Not sure if they made that same move on Tuesday, but there was a set on the 4th iron from 7 to 8 AM. On Monday they advertised the unscheduled inbound move of the extra equipment, but seeing as how it was completely between scheduled services, I can't imagine it had any passengers. No idea when or how the extra set came in on Tuesday - it wasn't advertised.

Interestingly enough, it appears the positioning movement of the extra train set has created some delays to regular outbound trains which cascaded to delays to the inbound trips for the associated equipment. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.
  by nomis

IIRC the Famingham protect extra took the single iron between 580 and 504 and behind 6501 today.
  by dbperry

P506 struck something in Ashland this morning. I'll have a full write-up on my blog on the service recovery sometime when I can write it up, but for now, just sharing pictures of the damage:

https://twitter.com/DXN987/status/794499592641511425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/BGraska/status/794500479258624000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the crew felt a strike at both Cherry St and Main St going eastbound and saw sparks. Damage to plow obvious. Set taken out of service in Framingham and sent to the penalty box (4th iron). Passengers unloaded and the extra set already being brought into position for "Pike demolition protection" was used as replacement set.
  by dbperry

dbperry wrote:P506 struck something in Ashland this morning. I'll have a full write-up on my blog on the service recovery sometime when I can write it up...
blog post up:

http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/what ... iday-11416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Arlington

Train. 311Lowell Line outbound sits idling at Wedgemere for 20 minutes due to brakes. Whasupwiddat? and if rebooting is effective why wait til t+25minutes to try it?
  by dbperry

New blog post - breakdown of the delays on Tuesday morning, 11/8/2016:
http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/what ... orning-118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Diverging Route

Lowell issues this morning.

303 died outbound at North Billerica. Its turn, 308 was cancelled. 305 tied on to 303 and pushed it to Lowell. 305's turn, 310, is running late.
  by Diverging Route

Someone in the T-Alert department needs a lesson in reading schedules!

Haverhill Line Train 219 (6:25 pm from North Station) is operating 10-15 minutes late between West Medford & Lowell due to slippery rail conditions.

Affected direction: Outbound

Last updated: Nov 15 2016 06:45 PM