• 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Disney Guy

How are the tracks scheduled with other lines i.e. Amtrak interleaved and with those trains, too, delayed because of the incident?

How would track utilization play out if the Worcester super express all of a sudden turned into a local upon picking up the stranded passengers in Ashland? Or what would have happened if the super express picked up those passengers but resumed being a super express?

Also, if the stranded passengers were left for a following local train to pick them up then only that local would have to cease on-board roving fare collection for the remainder of the run. You could imagine the confusion and indignation that would result on various other trains going the other way that "express" passengers boarded to get back to where they were going.
  by dbperry

Disney Guy wrote:How are the tracks scheduled with other lines i.e. Amtrak interleaved and with those trains, too, delayed because of the incident?
With only two Amtrak moves per day over the Framingham-Worcester, they usually don't play a big factor. They get delayed just like any other MBTA train, and I have not observed them get 'special' treatment, but I've only heard them be involved in a few big delay meltdowns. Freight trains, on the other hand, very typically get VERY delayed by MBTA / Keolis delays. They are held at all sorts of places to allow passenger service to get back to normal. There aren't many freight moves scheduled during the peak rush hours.

I doubt there was any impact on any other trains by the Friday AM P510-P512-P552 situation.

On Thursday night, after the fatality in Wellesley, the eastbound Amtrak Lake Shore Limited was held at Ashland station while all the backed up traffic cleared up. It was delayed about an hour and was sequenced in with other MBTA / Keolis moves - it didn't leapfrog any trains.
Disney Guy wrote:How would track utilization play out if the Worcester super express all of a sudden turned into a local upon picking up the stranded passengers in Ashland? Or what would have happened if the super express picked up those passengers but resumed being a super express?
No different than how it played out with the bullet train going around P510. Usually the bullet (P552) does not make a leapfrog move. But with P510 disabled at Ashland, it was routed onto the opposite track to go past P510. Instead of not stopping at Ashland, it could have stopped and picked up the passengers. It then could have stopped at Framingham to either: discharge interzone passengers and continue to Boston as super express, or pick up passengers and start operating as a local. In either scenario, the track ahead to Boston was clear (or could have been kept clear with P586 holding at Framingham) so either scenario could have worked.
Disney Guy wrote:Also, if the stranded passengers were left for a following local train to pick them up then only that local would have to cease on-board roving fare collection for the remainder of the run. You could imagine the confusion and indignation that would result on various other trains going the other way that "express" passengers boarded to get back to where they were going.
This actually did occur. The P510 passengers were picked up by P512, which continued to operate as a local train. But the P510 passengers had already paid - and conductors attempted to collect fares from passengers boarding at stations further down the line. There were complaints about this confused fare collection status - some passengers claimed their mTickets had expired, and any passengers who had used a paper ticket (not purchased on board) would have had no 'proof of payment.' I don't think any of these situations rose to a confrontation level, but the confusion existed.

Under the current system, there are no good solutions to fare collection when trains become very delayed or very crowded, or when passengers transfer to a different train. I can see the argument from both perspectives: stop fare collection completely or try to keep doing fare collection. I don't know what the correct answer is. And the uneven application of a strategy - even within the same train - makes the situation more frustrating for passengers.

I have requested some clarification regarding the bypassing of P510 by the bullet train and hope to be able to write a blog post with the information I get. Probably not for a couple weeks.
  by Diverging Route

Good morning! Today's north side cancellations include:
  by EdSchweppe

Diverging Route wrote:Good morning! Today's north side cancellations include:
Not to mention that the rest of the Fitchburg line is having a bad day. According to T-Alert:
Due to track and signal issues all Fitchburg inbound trains are expected to experience a 15-30 minute delay and all outbound trains are expected to experience a 5-10 minute delay. Individual train alerts will be sent as needed.
(The delays are now 40+ minutes.)
  by octr202

191/192 was on the list early in the morning but was "uncancelled" and apparently actually ran.
  by leviramsey

Conductor on 410 said he suspected it was Pan Am being Pan Am west of Willows.
  by leviramsey

Announcement on 415 that we're stopped between Ayer and Shirley to let 422 pass (presumably ultimately due to freight interference?).
  by Diverging Route

Wowzers.
Lowell Train 331 (5:10 pm outbound) is operating 30-40 minutes behind schedule between W Medford and Lowell due to a track problem.

Last updated: Nov 22 2016 05:54 PM
Yesterday 331 was a 4R, and overstuffed (it's usually a 5R and quite crowded). I don't know what the consist is today, but I hope it wasn't a 4R again for pax' sake!
  by leviramsey

Fitchburg Train 414 (10:50 am from Wachusett) is operating 25-35 min late between Fitchburg and North Station due to a freight train interference.

Stefan's tracker currently has it and 407 between Fitchburg and North Leominster (414 is 40 minutes late to North Leominster at this writing).
  by Rbts Stn

Train hit a parked car on the Needham Line this AM at West Street, which is right at the end of the line at Needham Heights. There is customer parking on the other side of a guard rail there, so it's not that, but there is T employee parking inside the fence on the south side of West Street which is not well defined. Hope it wasn't a T worker's vehicle that got flipped over.
  by leviramsey

Rbts Stn wrote:Train hit a parked car on the Needham Line this AM at West Street, which is right at the end of the line at Needham Heights. There is customer parking on the other side of a guard rail there, so it's not that, but there is T employee parking inside the fence on the south side of West Street which is not well defined. Hope it wasn't a T worker's vehicle that got flipped over.
I'd hope that the expectation is that T employees know not to park so as to foul the tracks...
  by Backshophoss

That's one heck of a Murphy's Law result. "What can go wrong,will go wrong,......" :(
  by Rbts Stn

Boston Globe reported it was an employee's car. I hope it didn't damage the train at all.