• 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dbperry

octr202 wrote:This just in...

Trains in and out of North Station are expected to be delayed by at least 10-15 minutes due to a signal issue.

Last updated: Aug 22 2016 07:51 AM
Extra bonus points awarded for use of word "bungalow"
"There's an issue with a signal bungalow outside of North Station."
https://twitter.com/MBTA_CR/status/767692817422516224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Problem cleared around 9:05 AM:
https://twitter.com/MBTA_CR/status/767709272914485248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by octr202

Possible fun time starting to crank up northside. When I got off 202, there was much shuffling of crews starting, and shortly there after, T alerts described 491 as 10-15 minutes late, and 191/192 cancelled outright. And Keolis almost made it thru the week without major mechanical failures (on this side at least)!
  by ohalloranchris

Quite an issue at Hyde Park this morning (8/30): Track 3 (outbound) is closed. I passed by on train 900 on track 2 and it appears that the inter-track fence between track 3 & 1 was somehow ripped from its poles and is now strewn about track 3. Anyone have any idea what happened? Did a passing train snag the fence somehow and accidentally pull it down? This means all inbound Franklin trains will need to be switched over to track 2 at READ interlocking, then potentially back over to 3 at Forest to make their Ruggles stop. This will create delays, hopefully it's cleaned up before the PM commute.
  by dbperry

P508 was held at Southboro this morning for an "unruly passenger" according to T-Alerts.

Turned out the whole story was soon told on Twitter (but unfortunately has now been deleted & blocked out).

The train was stopped in Southboro and police were summoned for a passenger refusing to pay. Once police arrived, another passenger ponied up the cash to pay the "unruly" passenger's fare. Train proceeded and was 10-15 min late.

The "unruly" passenger went on Twitter to complain about the police intervention. Though dialogue with others, the entire picture eventually became clear:

He recently got a new job and yesterday bought (or got from work - it was a little unclear) a monthly pass for September. He claims to have been told that it would work even though it wasn't September yet.

He claims that he used the September pass last night without incident. This morning, he was irate that the September pass was not honored 1 day early - he mentioned many times on Twitter that it was only a day early and he paid a lot of money for his monthly pass, so why should he have to pay more (i.e. separate fare for today)?

As you might expect, the Twitterverse unloaded on him for expecting a free ride and delaying the train with his antics. He was having none of it, blaming the "greedy MBTA" for delaying the train. He never appeared to have any comprehension that his position was even questionable (let alone admitting his position was just wrong).

He claimed to have been riding the train for "months" without ever having a problem before - which prompted someone to ask: if you've been riding the train for months, where is your August pass? His reply was that he had a different job from January to July but left and never had an August pass.

It was all pretty entertaining, and even though I wasn't on P508, getting the whole story made me feel more comfortable that Keolis and the train crew did the right thing in this case.

There were a number of people who asked the larger questions about when does the greater good of a delayed train outweigh the #FareIsFair of one person... and I don't have the answer for that. My reply was that it becomes a very slippery slope of allowing people to take advantage of the system. But we also can't have every train stopping for fare evaders. Hence my argument to go to a proof-of-payment system with strict and steep penalties. But that's a debate for a different thread...
  by sery2831

Very well put! As a Conductor your remarks are dead on target.
  by harshaw

Another one I have seen is a passenger claim that they gave a $100 bill to a conductor and didn't get appropriate change.

Sadly she tried this ruse on of the more established conductors who wasn't buying it. A decent scam artist would mark the newer conductors for this approach.
  by BostonUrbEx

That sounds like a pretty dumb scam. How often does a conductor have a Benjamin on them? A simple check of the collected fares would turn up no Benjamin's most of the time, I'm guessing.
  by BandA

They should have told this passenger that for his trouble they would gladly refund his pass for the month of September. And prohibit him from riding on commuter rail for September.
  by BandA

Holding passengers hostage for three hours is completely unreasonable. I would have gotten off.
  by acela 2036

I dont think they were at Yawkey Station when this occurred, so not like they had a choice really to get off
  by BostonUrbEx

They were not at a station, but the MBTA was prepared to evacuate the passengers anyway. The PD would not allow it for investigation purposes, in case anyone "saw anything" -- but I'm not sure how they could have seen anything when they weren't even on the train that killed the person.
  by dbperry

Posted about 7:15 AM on Thursday 9/8/16:
Due to an Amtrak speed restriction Providence/Stoughton trains may experience a 10-15 minute delay between Route 128 and S. Station.
Anyone know what that's about?
  by acela 2036

Worcester notice: significant delays are expected for all Framingham/Worcester trains due to Police Activity near W Newton Station. Alternative modes of transportation is suggested.

Train 528 struck a tresspassor it looks like