Railroad Forums 

• 1887 Cleveland

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1388148  by Roger Hensley

The Bridge and Building Dept. gang has finished their work at Cleveland. It is now being looked over.
Lawrence Baggerly Collection.

#1388177  by NKP1155

This is a very confusing photograph if it actually depicts Cleveland. There are two rail lines that cross where the switcher is. There is no crossing protection visible, though it could be a smash board or gate behind the locomotive. .The gully is too narrow to be the Cuyahoga, The gully is spanned by a single track line, so it is not the Lake Shore main. The through truss to the left of the photo rules out the Lake Shore main, as I never saw one of those on their line through Cleveland. The lack of structures in the background would indicate we are looking toward Lake Erie, but it could be a heavy air pollution day. I want to say this is where the Wheeling and Newburg & south Shore crosses, but both the bridges there were deck girders.
 #1388275  by Roger Hensley

Here is the other photo from this set of two.
Big Four Stock Express stock car going to the Yard while the B&B (Bridge and Building Dept.) gang watch. 1887 vintage (Cleveland).
Lawrence Baggerly Collection.

#1388416  by shlustig

I concur with NKP that this might not be Cleveland. The Big Four served the Cleveland Stock Yards at W. 65th St. / Clark Tower at ground level. also, the entry into CLE from there was at water level through Walworth Run to DK and the Central Flats all the way to the Lakefront.

Only possibility that I see might be the original connection with the NKP at Cloggville.
 #1388814  by NKP1155

At the time of this photo, there was no Cloggville. Interchange was done west of the NKP viaduct over the Big 4 and Walworth Run. This point was called Burton Street. There were no bridges in the interchange area, the 4 or 5 track yard sloped evenly between carriers.