Railroad Forums 

• 15 years ago on june 1st, 1999

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1273866  by lakeshoredave

conrail was broken up by ns and csx. incredible to think its been 15 years since that happened. i remember on this day 5 years ago i sat at fostoria ohio and the first and second trains i saw on ns that day had lashups with locomotives that were in conrail paint including a triple crown roadrailer train. conrail might only exist as a shared assets railroad now, but they will never be forgotten as a class 1 railroad
 #1276521  by QB 52.32

Time marches on! I'm impressed to see over time how balanced the carve up really was for both NS and CSX once things settled out and as evidenced by both companies' operating ratios. Some thinking amongst the railfan community, including Fred Frailey in Trains mag., as I recall, gave NS the "win", but that hasn't held water and is a credit to the architects of the deal.