Railroad Forums 

• 0 Track Thurlow Yard near Hook Tower

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#479908  by krupa1020

I was by the 0 track at old Thurlow Yard near Hook Tower in Chester, PA yesterday. They have 0 track out of service and it looks like they are rebuilding the yard in that area. A lot of new track with switches being put in. Anyone know what they are putting in?

The area is north of Hook Tower located between Hook Interlocking and Highland Ave switch. 0 track is used by the NS to get into Stoney Creek Yard.

#480319  by BuddSilverliner269

me being a SEPTA RRD engineer I go by that area every night on my run to Wilmington and I too have noticed this work and wondered about it.I cant rally see what they are doing. I did see them clearing out the yard near the end of summer and it does indeed seem as though theres plenty of track they will be relaying. Im guessing Stoney Creek yard in Marcus hook is overflowing or the other guess is the way the Linwood Branch from Stoney Creek Yard to Hook interlocking is arranged, NS trains shove out of Stoney Creek to Hook so Im guessing that when they get all this work done they will always run engine first and run around the train at the "new" Thurlow Yard. The "0" tracks comes into 1 at Highland Avenue but knowing CTEC 4 permission isnt granted that easily to have the engine runaround the train. Just a thought I guess...

#480404  by krupa1020

I think Stoney Creek uses the old Wanamaker Yard in Essington as an overflow yard. I do understand and think it is a good move if they put in a run around track. But the work they are doing is more then that. They are putting in, from what it looks like, a whole new yard. I can't think of what they are putting in.

#480661  by BuddSilverliner269

True about Wanamaker yard but if Thurlow yard is being rebuilt as an overflow yard and I really doubt it is I would think Thurlow yard would be closer then Wanamaker Yard. I think they are rebuilding it because the increase in frieght buisness and NS will be using that yard as a base to transfer cars between Hook and Edgemoor yard. Easier I guess then using the Linwood branch for all the backup moves they do. Im sure parof the yard will be used for runaround moves that way it can be done without tying up Amtraks #1 track

#481175  by krupa1020

I went by there again today. They had gondolas either picking up items or dropping them off. The track crew moved from the Highland Ave section up to near the Main Street bridge.
I wonder if the has to do with Stoney Creek Technologies, which is the chemical plant next to 0 track. I know they are closed and under bankruptcy. The rail crew is using the plants enterences to gain access to the tracks.

#481872  by krupa1020

Buddsilverliner269 my apologies, you are right. This will be an overflow yard, but for Edgmoor Yard, operated by Norfolk Southern trains that serve Sunoco, Phillips and Epsilon in Marcus Hook. This information came from another site.
Thanks for the replies though. :-)

#482207  by BuddSilverliner269

Hey Krupa thats the whole point of this site to post questions and get answers. I didnt know exactly what was going on at Thurlow Yard but i just figured something was up. What other site did you see this info on. Ive been searching for it?

#482509  by krupa1020

The other group is under Yahoo groups - tristate-rr. That is where I got my answer. :-)