Railroad Forums 

• Wisconsin Talgos Disposition - MI and now Pacific Surfliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1624622  by Tadman

eolesen wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:54 am I swear we discussed how effective tilting would be on a commuter line with stops every 2 miles......

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Are we sure they didn't get taken in by a scam sent through the fax machine? This is is the craziest idea I've ever heard. Those trains have skilled riding techs on them every day and they need immaculate track. I can't wait to see how poorly this goes.

Ask the Argentines about their Talgos... they spend more time in the yards than anywhere else.
 #1628003  by David Benton

GojiMet86 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:38 pm
David Benton wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:07 am As with all things African ,they will adapt them to suit their needs . The majority of passenger rolling stock is secondhand.
This was a case of politicians wanting a photo op. vs. a real opening.
I meant more in everyday use, rather than the photo op ,in response to the posts that they will be lemons
 #1640096  by eolesen

It's a fairly novel remodel -- none of the seats went to waste in the conversion to sideways seating.

Could the galley car not be removed entirely from the trainset? What happened to the other cab/power car?
 #1640120  by west point

Did you notice the number of straps for strap hangers? The RR must expect crush loads. Noticed that standard north American 110 polarized 20 Amp outlet receptacles were still on the seats. Does that country use 110-/220 V- 60 hZ? Or maybe 120 /240 V 60 hZ? Also is HEP power to the cars the standard 480 V 3 phase 60 hZ?
 #1641131  by Tadman

Interesting that the HST is now in Nigeria and Mexico. A twist nobody thought we'd see.

Unfortunately most of the former British Empire uses broad gauge so Mexico and Nigeria were the only logical places left to send the HST. Too bad they never made a low-platform MkIII coach as the Detroit line would've been perfect for these trains.