Railroad Forums 

• Why is Wawa expansion so slow and costly??

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1270418  by 25Hz

Quinn wrote:
25Hz wrote:I'm really glad they are extending the line to a station with no nearby population center....
Perhaps you haven't heard of the plans to rehabilitate the nearby former Franklin Mint property into housing and stores.

January 2014 report

March 2014 update
Isn't that nice for Wawa. ;)
 #1305657  by Roadgeek Adam

Suburban Station wrote:Looks like west chester rail restoration kicks off this week
I also love how they took one of my photos without crediting me as well...

http://www.west-chester.com/430/West-Chester-Railroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2nd link, 10th slide)
 #1305676  by NorthPennLimited

Suburban Station wrote:Looks like west chester rail restoration kicks off this week
Not too familiar with that neck of the woods. What is the first phase of restoring service past Elwyn towards Wawa? Bridges, Track? Catenary? PTC and signaling?

Aren't the trestles between 30th Street and Media crumbling?
 #1305745  by Franklin Gowen

NorthPennLimited wrote:Aren't the trestles between 30th Street and Media crumbling?
Yes.
 #1305763  by Suburban Station

The bridges have be funded. This article highlights septas inability to see anything but parking spaces as deserving of service. The idea is to restore the entire 9 miles to the o ly county seat without rail service instead of just wawa.
http://swarthmorephoenix.com/2014/02/07 ... s-to-wawa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1305778  by bikentransit

Wouldnt it be easier to get the whole thing funded instead of just the Wawa stadium complex?

It's good to see a municipality putting so much effort into this and FINALLY recognizing this needs to be a priority. There is no viable public transit in West Chester right now for city bound workers.
 #1305790  by Quinn

The "Lenni" thread in this forum mentions that WCRR now has control and maintenance of the line up to Lenni, so any more work on Wawa expansion seems even slower.
 #1305843  by NorthPennLimited

bikentransit wrote:Wouldnt it be easier to get the whole thing funded instead of just the Wawa stadium complex?

It's good to see a municipality putting so much effort into this and FINALLY recognizing this needs to be a priority. There is no viable public transit in West Chester right now for city bound workers.
For anyone with an automobile, they have the option of driving 10-15 minutes to Exton station and catch an express train into the city during rush hour.
 #1305966  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Wouldnt it be easier to get the whole thing funded instead of just the Wawa stadium complex?

For anyone with an automobile, they have the option of driving 10-15 minutes to Exton station and catch an express train into the city during rush hour.
The whole point of a proper transit system is to not need to do that.
 #1306015  by NorthPennLimited

Sorry if you can't read between the lines.

MY POINT IS, if you already live 10 or 15 minutes from Exton Station, what is so bad about that?

The trip time from West Chester to Suburban by train will take just as long as driving to Exton and coming in by rail on the Harrisburg Line.

SEPTA is broke, the state has a huge budget deficit, and we are beating the drums for rail service to West Chester right after a 5 year project is nearing completion to widen U.S. Route 202, and rail service exists nearby?

IMO, the money would be better spent by the state trying to providing service to people with NO OPTIONS like Scranton - NYC, The route 309 corridor north of Lansdale, the route 422 corridor west of Valley Forge, etc.

Although, I see I won't win this argument. This is apples-to-apples with your crusade to restore Newtown service, even though the line is a 15 min drive to Warminster Line and West Trenton Line Stations.

Out of respect to the other members on here, I won't draw you into another Newtown Line service pitch on this thread.
 #1306070  by bikentransit

Shame on you NorthPenn for trying to scuttle the discussion by bringing up Newtown, which no one else here did but YOU.

Now with regards to your Exton argument, there may be truth to it, but have you been to West Chester? Do you know how many people there, including students could easily walk or ride a jitney to the station, instead of thumbing a ride or driving to Exton? Traffic around Exton is terrible. Who wants to deal with that?

Scranton has nothing to do with expanding within our region. That's a state issue, and if the state wants statewide passenger rail service, then it should form a statewide passenger rail authority. In the meantime, let's keep the discussion within scope please.