Railroad Forums 

• Why has the East Penn RR leased the Venice Island branch?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1390031  by CaptainHaddock

Since the Venice Island branch in Philadelphia needs a SW1001 or similar size locomotive to work it, one of the reasons that NS would lease it to East Penn Railroad might be becuase they've gotten rid of all their SW1001's. Does anyone know why the ESPN has leased this branch, and the current state of NS's SW1001's?
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Flipped the order of spelled out words and acronym.
 #1390045  by John_Perkowski

I wonder when Mr Disney's people will realize what the East Penn's reporting marks are....??? ;-)
 #1390076  by CaptainHaddock

Yeah, that was one of the other thing I thought it could be, but I didn't post it for some reason. I wonder if NS will sell off the engines, scrap them, or use them on CSAO. I think there's a decent market for newer switchers since no locomotive builders make them except for the rebuilding companies, and a rebuilt engine/genset might be too expensive for an industrial or a shortline.
 #1390249  by glennk419

CaptainHaddock wrote:Since the Venice Island branch in Philadelphia needs a SW1001 or similar size locomotive to work it, one of the reasons that NS would lease it to East Penn Railroad might be becuase they've gotten rid of all their SW1001's. Does anyone know why the ESPN has leased this branch, and the current state of NS's SW1001's?
NS still has a handful of ex-RDG SW1001's, mostly operating in/around Pavonia and Abrams. 2105 was in Pavonia within the last month as captured by Bob Vogel..

http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=4463767