Railroad Forums 

• Who was Freight Car America?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#750387  by Allen Hazen

The "New York Times" website for 20 December 2009 has a sxtory about a company called "Freight Car America": their CEO, Christian Ragot, is leaving ("by mutual consent"-- the story also says the company's earnings have been disappointing recently, but -- given the state of the economy --it doesn't seem fair to blame the CEO for that), and being replaced by another executive (and probably stockholder) of the company. The new CEO (sorry-- memory like a sieve!) is said to have joined the company in 1990 or 1991, and to be one of the group of investors who formed Freight Car America to buy out a "predecessor company."

I've been away from the U.S. for quite a while, and have missed a lot of railroad industry news. It sounds as if Freight Car America is, essentially, the new name for some old carbuilder whose name I ***would*** recognize... but which one? (The specialize in building coal hoppers; a list of major customers includes some of the usual suspects.)
 #750392  by DutchRailnut

From their website:

FreightCar America, Inc. We are a manufacturer of railroad freight cars, with particular expertise in coal-carrying railcars. In addition to coal cars, FreightCar America designs ...

http://www.freightcaramerica.com/Index.htm

Stock Symbol: RAIL

Edited by a Moderator (highlights that Ductch found the info on their website, thanks Dutch!! :) ) 21 Dec 09 924AM CST
 #750532  by Sir Ray

I don't see it mentioned on their website, but they were formerly Johnstown America