Railroad Forums 

• Where to go railfanning from Boston to Springfield

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#763594  by stilson4283

I am coming out this year to Springfield after missing last year but this time with a slight twist as I am going to be coming in via Boston will have all day Friday to railfan. Now I have done a lot of railfanning into Springfield from NY but not from Boston. I am thinking of chasing the AYMO to Deerfield but would there be anything else you think I should hit up.

Thanks,

Chris
 #763852  by jaymac

stilson4283-
Not to be discouraging, but unless you're already familiar with sites -- and sights -- between Ayer and East Deerfield, you might find chasing AYMO as frustrating as chasing rainbows. The train really moves, and chances of staying in contact with it along side-roads, especially once school buses and related traffic begin clogging the Friday afternoon byways, will probably prove problematic. (Wow! A short train of plosive sounds!) AYMO's crew is generally on duty around 1230 with a 1330 target departure. Depending on your arrival in this area, you might want to pick one spot and watch things go by.
If you've done any PAR watching, PAS is a much different road, with long stretches of higher-speed running. Even the 10-mile uphill section between Westminster and Gardner is now quicker, and MOAY/AYMO uses reliable NS power with more than enough tractive effort to make a chasing a train that's not doing any intermediate work potentially unrewarding.
 #763885  by atsf sp

There is also Worcester if you don't want to go PAR. There is CSX movement all day, MBTA trains and the P&W yard. I will be headed to see the P&W yard on my way to the show.
 #763930  by Otto Vondrak

Palmer, Ayer and Worcester are probably good places to start. Each will have a different kind of action. Agree with the advice above that a chase of AYMO would be difficult at best in unfamiliar territory...
 #764271  by atsf sp

Cadet57 wrote:Be careful at the P&W yard, ive read that its in a not so nice neighborhood, hard to access an crews will ask visitors to leave.
Like any city, be careful where you are and watch you're surroundings. But the area is fine in the daytime and not too bad at night. There are not that many vantage points for watching yard ops but viewing some of their Motive power and watching CSX interchanges is possible there.