Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#867406  by Highball116

I've taken an apartment alongside the Sunbury Division, and I'm curious what the symbols are. There's a CP local that comes through during the day, and an intermodal with mixed freight that comes through at night. Any idea what these trains are, and if there are any others? Thanks!
 #867456  by conrailsharedassets

Hi Highball116,

I too live very close to the CP Sunbury Subdivision. I'm not sure what part of it you live on but I will describe the whole line from Binghamton to Sunbury as depending on where you live traffic varies drastically.

All trains listed are in the order they run from 00:00 to 23:59 hours. This is on average and most certainly not gauranteed but should give you a good idea.

Binghamton to Taylor:

NS 13T (CP 933) Buffalo to Allentown (Southbound) Daily
NS 12T (CP 932) Allentown to Buffalo (Northbound) Daily
CP 511 Taylor to Binghamton (Northbound) Daily
CP 165 Philadelphia to Binghamton "stacks and freight" (Northbound) Tu, Th, Sa.
CP 257 Allentown/Oak Island to Binghamton "stacks, autos, garbage and freight" (Northbound) M,W, Th, F, Sa
CP 412 Binghamton to Harrsiburg/Enola (Southbound) Daily "runs with NS power"
CP 512/513 Binghamton to Sunbury Turn (Runs south W,F and North Th, Sa)
CP 256 Binghamton to Allentown/Oak Island (Southbound) M, W, Th, F, Sa
CP 413 Enola/Harrisburg to Binghamton (Northbound) Daily "runs with NS power"
CP 164 Binghamton to Philadelphia (Southbound) Tu, Th, Sun.
NS 31T (931) Harrisburg/Enola to Montreal (Northbound) Daily
NS 30T (930) Montreal to Harrisburg/Enola (Southbound) Daily
CP 510 Binghamton to Taylor (Southbound) Daily

Taylor to Dupont:

You get everything listed above except for 510/511 which terminate at Taylor. Add CP local D-11 (runs b/w Taylor and Buttonwood M-F)

Dupont to CP Kase (Sunbury):

CP 165
CP 412
CP 512/513
CP 413
CP 164
NS 30T (930)
NS 31T (931)
CP D-11

If you have any additional question feel free to contact me off list.

If you are looking for video of the Sunbury Sub and all of its trains, check out www.youtube.com/stallfiveproductions .

Jim
 #868140  by Highball116

Thanks, Jim! This list is great. I live well south of Buttonwood, so I guess I'm only seeing the eight trains. I do have a couple of questions. Is there any way to tell the difference between the NS-powered trains, 412/413 and 30T/31T? Does 164/165 tend to have autoracks in the consist? And one last one... a unit coal train came through a few weeks ago with NS power. Do trains often detour on the Sunbury Sub?

Toby
 #870598  by pumpers

Jim, So the Allentown traffic (NS 12T, 13T, CP 256, 257) runs via the Reading and Northern between Dupont and north of Allentown, but the Philadelphia traffic (CP 164, 165) runs all the way west and back via Harrisburg and Sunbury? JS
 #874455  by conrailsharedassets

Highball116 wrote:Thanks, Jim! This list is great. I live well south of Buttonwood, so I guess I'm only seeing the eight trains. I do have a couple of questions. Is there any way to tell the difference between the NS-powered trains, 412/413 and 30T/31T? Does 164/165 tend to have autoracks in the consist? And one last one... a unit coal train came through a few weeks ago with NS power. Do trains often detour on the Sunbury Sub?

Toby
Toby,

Sorry about the delay in resonse. But the best way to tell the difference between 412/413 and 30T/31T is by tonnage. NS 30T/31T will be very heavy with CN paper traffic most cars will have CN/IC/GT markings. 30T often has alot of autos on the backend of the train. CP 412 often has autos on the front and runs usually before noon. and 413 is a late afternoon/evening train nd is very heavy with paper and clay traffic. 164/165 are intermodal and freight only trains at the moment although there has been talks some auto business coming to philly. That coal train was a planned move up the Sunbury Sub and only happens about 10 times per year if not less. Trains only detour on the sub if there is a derailment on the NS middle division or R&N lehigh division. Expect some major traffic increases in the next few years however.

Jim
 #874456  by conrailsharedassets

pumpers wrote:Jim, So the Allentown traffic (NS 12T, 13T, CP 256, 257) runs via the Reading and Northern between Dupont and north of Allentown, but the Philadelphia traffic (CP 164, 165) runs all the way west and back via Harrisburg and Sunbury? JS
JS,

U got it 256/257 and 12/13T operate south/north on the sub b/w binghamton and dupont and then over the R&N to Allentown. and trains 412/413, 30T/31T and 164/165 operate down the sub to Harrisburg and or operate via Harrisburg.

Jim
 #874458  by conrailsharedassets

conrailsharedassets wrote:Hi Highball116,

I too live very close to the CP Sunbury Subdivision. I'm not sure what part of it you live on but I will describe the whole line from Binghamton to Sunbury as depending on where you live traffic varies drastically.

All trains listed are in the order they run from 00:00 to 23:59 hours. This is on average and most certainly not gauranteed but should give you a good idea.

Binghamton to Taylor:

NS 13T (CP 933) Buffalo to Allentown (Southbound) Daily
NS 12T (CP 932) Allentown to Buffalo (Northbound) Daily
CP 511 Taylor to Binghamton (Northbound) Daily
CP 165 Philadelphia to Binghamton "stacks and freight" (Northbound) Tu, Th, Sa.
CP 257 Allentown/Oak Island to Binghamton "stacks, autos, garbage and freight" (Northbound) M,W, Th, F, Sa
CP 412 Binghamton to Harrsiburg/Enola (Southbound) Daily "runs with NS power"
CP 512/513 Binghamton to Sunbury Turn (Runs south W,F and North Th, Sa)
CP 256 Binghamton to Allentown/Oak Island (Southbound) M, W, Th, F, Sa
CP 413 Enola/Harrisburg to Binghamton (Northbound) Daily "runs with NS power"
CP 164 Binghamton to Philadelphia (Southbound) Tu, Th, Sun.
NS 31T (931) Harrisburg/Enola to Montreal (Northbound) Daily
NS 30T (930) Montreal to Harrisburg/Enola (Southbound) Daily
CP 510 Binghamton to Taylor (Southbound) Daily

Taylor to Dupont:

You get everything listed above except for 510/511 which terminate at Taylor. Add CP local D-11 (runs b/w Taylor and Buttonwood M-F)

Dupont to CP Kase (Sunbury):

CP 165
CP 412
CP 512/513
CP 413
CP 164
NS 30T (930)
NS 31T (931)
CP D-11

If you have any additional question feel free to contact me off list.

If you are looking for video of the Sunbury Sub and all of its trains, check out http://www.youtube.com/stallfiveproductions .

Jim
""""""""""""""Please be advised that 256/257 are NOW OPERATING DAILY!!! This has just changed in the past week...""""""""""""""""""