Railroad Forums 

• What is going to happen to the ALP-44s??

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1615380  by Emmett

I have recently seen that NJT had stored four ABB ALP-44's in Kearny MMC. Are they being used for MoW, are they getting ready for preservation? The reason I ask is this:

Why put four in the maintenance center? We all know they were retired because they couldn't haul the multi-levels, so why didn't they recieve the same fate as most of them? I just need the answers (let's hope for preservation)
 #1615444  by nomis

Mod Note the Amtrak forum thread has moved from Amtrak to NjT forums, and NJT info consolidated into one thread.
 #1615458  by lensovet

JoeSchmoe69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:58 am That screen shot is from Apple Maps and their satellite images are at least 3 to 4 years out of date. One way to tell is that Hudson Yards across the river is still just breaking ground on the satellite image.
That actually depends on which iOS version you're using and what area of the country you're looking at. On regions that have "Flyover" (3D) imagery, the data is indeed quite old, but regions without it or devices on iOS 14 (or older) will show pretty up to date stuff (usually about a year old).

This picture is indeed from Flyover territory (you can tell it's clearly been tilted and isn't straight down plus there are some artifacts that give it away). Here's the same view with up to date imagery:

As for why these might be around, they were paid for with federal money and approval had to be received to dispose of them. See this post from a year ago: post1590040.html#p1590040
 #1615484  by Emmett

Are the ALP-44's still @Kearny MMC? because if they are, why weren't they sent off with the rest to the Lackawanna cutoff stub track? seems odd if they were going to scrap the 4 I believe to be in the maintenance yard (possibly just 2 now). I think they might do something with them.
 #1615486  by Emmett

Wes8761 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:09 pm I have been wondering what will happen to them and when. I have gone to see the 28 they abandoned in Port Morris and its safe to say that (from the outside at least) like they will never turn a wheel again. I never went inside since trespassing is illegal and I want to respect NJT and their equipment however it seems they don't really care at all about the state of them. The windows on some have been broken in and others have forced entry through the doors. One has what looks like a firemans hose coming out from a hole in the undercarriage, dunno what that is about but needless to say they are operationally ruined. I have seen pictures of the 3 or 4 stored at the MMC and they look on the outside at least like they are 100% operational. I wonder if Transit will sell them off or scrap them and when that will happen. I imagine the main 44s will be scrapped on site and the MMC ones will be moved to the North Jersey Coast Line scrapyard. Any ideas when that will happen or if anything different will happen? Also if anyone is selling the operators instructions to the 44s I will gladly buy one. (Sadly the only image I had was a crappy one )

I really hope the Kearny MMC ALP-44's don't get scrapped, especially since they could probably run. It would be a waste and it would add NJT to the list of "dumb agencies" with septa for scrapping their sole ALP-44M.
 #1615487  by Emmett

Lensovet I looked on my 2020 Iphone SE (currently operating on the most recent 16.3) and the image in "3D" view and all four ALP-44's are still there (hopefully still there as of now). If they keep them they should either run them in a excursion with comets that they can haul or give one to the railroad museum of PA (or any in the area, especially there own museum) to be seen by future and current generations, as they were big parts of history on the NEC.
 #1616491  by Emmett

lensovet wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:11 pm That's the point, the 3D view is ancient. Grab a phone running iOS 14 or a Mac running 10.14 to see the up-to-date 2D view. Newer OSes will show you the ancient imagery instead.
I did look on 2d view. they are still there. I guess NJT is gonna do something with them
 #1617765  by n01jd1

Dcell wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:14 pm
lensovet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 am Truly unbelievable that both the 44s and the IIIs were retired before being in service for 25 years. Even worse is that the IIIs have just been taking up space and depreciating in value for the last decade.
How about the PL-42ACs? No other railroad operates them and I've been told no other railroad wants these locomotives as second-hand units. Their only value is for components and scrap. Operated less than 20 years.
Maybe some railroad could use the 710 prime movers, generator and traction motors. Other than that, they are pretty worthless.
 #1620430  by Emmett

Me and a friend have been looking around the internet and he believes that the ALP-44's in MMC have been moving around. We also believe that they could possibly be preserved. can anyone give info on either question or any info on the alp-44's in general, if you can it would be great!

-Emmett