Railroad Forums 

• What does CSXT stand for?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1237  by danb

I would think Conrail Shared Assets Transportation, but then it would be CSAT. I really have no clue what it stands for. I am sure this is one of those really stupid and obvious questions, but since the old topics have gone to the land of Deletion, I have no way of finding out. I checked on CSX. com, but I can't find anything.

Thanks! :D ! :D ! :D ! :D :D :D

#1243  by charlie6017

CSX Transportation
 #1260  by rcbsd45

As I understand it, not too much, these days! Actually, As I understand it, C=Chessie, S=Seaboard, and the X= a multiplier of the companies that came together to form CSXT. Shared Assets formal title, I believe is CSAO, Conrail Shared Assets organization, although I've seen it listed as CSAA(Conrail Shared Assets Area["Cant Switch Anything Anywhere!"]...
 #1266  by pharmerphil

The explanation I've heard is that "CSX" is a stylized representation of the merger of Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Lines. Thus it is a capital C , capital S and a multiplication sign (X). They were really reaching on this one , I guess all the good names have taken!

#1295  by danb

Thanks! :D

#1379  by railohio

CSX was originally setup to be a holding company for Chessie System and Seaboard Industries. As it was originally setup, CSX was never to be a railroad itself. I believe it was Hays Watkins, the first president of CSX, who said (to paraphrase), "You will never seen an engine or boxcar painted for CSX." Over the years, though, a unified image was desired and eventually the name of the holding company was used for the railroads, which were formally merged into CSX throughout the 1980s.

#1406  by Urban D Kaye

Another story I'd heard was that the acronym "CSX" was just intended as a temporary "placeholder" to refer to the holding company on legal documents until a more appropriate name could be invented. Eventually, CSX just stuck and no other name was developed.

Not sure whether this is true, but given the way CSX is run, don't be surprised if it is.

#1567  by n01jd1

How about Crash Slam and eXplode or Chemical Spill eXperts or Cant Stand eXellence or my favorite Chicken Sh*t eXpress???? :) :P

CSX

#1581  by njt4172

I believe CSX Industries was set up as the Holding Company in 1980. But it wasn't until 1986 that Chessie and Seaboard officially merged to form the current CSX TRansportation. I think the engines and cars started to get repainted into CSX blue and gray around late 1986-87

Steve

#1786  by kb0lvz

Can't
Scheule or
eXpidite
Transportation

This new bb is too much fun :wink:

#1997  by Conrail Cleveland East

CSX-Conrail's "Snow job" Multiplied.
 #2543  by MR77100

CSXT stands for CSX Transportation, which was formed on July 1, 1986. CSX Corp. was actually formed on November 1, 1980 as a holding company for the Chessie Railroads (B&O, C&O, WM), and the Family Lines, (SCL, L&N, Georgia, Clinchfield). There was no logo, paint scheme, or anything. On December 29, 1982, L&N merged with SCL to drop the Family Lines label and form Seaboard System. The Western Maryland vanished into the B&O in 1983, and not much changed until 1986, when Seaboard became CSX Transportation. The B&O was merged into the C&O on April 30, 1987, and the C&O was absorbed into CSXT in August. Painting of diesels into Chessie paint stopped in March, 1986, and I think the first unit was painted for CSX in April. They painted a geep of some sort in a drab grey scheme, and the side of one boxcar and a caboose.

#2715  by videobruce

Confederate States Express................

but, the "Chicken Sh*t eXpress" is just as good.

#2784  by Conrail Cleveland East

CSX:Here's a couple more.
Common Sense Xcluded.
Can't Stay on the traX.

Nothing against CSX.Just having fun.

#3095  by videobruce

Cleveland East rules...............

Remember Dispatcher Fred!