• Washington DC Union Station 100th Anniversary Celebration

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AMTK1007

Just a heads up. There will be a celebration for WUS's 100th anniversary October 4th and 5th. I hear that there will be an outstanding display of heritage equipment that would have served Washington along with a supurb display of Amtrak equipment! Free and Open to the Public so go and enjoy! :-D
  by Kaback9

AMTK1007 wrote:Just a heads up. There will be a celebration for WUS's 100th anniversary October 4th and 5th. I hear that there will be an outstanding display of heritage equipment that would have served Washington along with a supurb display of Amtrak equipment! Free and Open to the Public so go and enjoy! :-D
There will be a very special visitor. I'm thinking about going.
  by AMTK1007

The Rumors I have heard ( from reliable sources) have SEVERAL special visitors coming!
  by Greg Moore

Bah, unfortunately I won't be in DC that weekend. (was planning on it originally too. Oh well).
  by Ken W2KB

I've purchased a special fare ticket roundtrip NWK to WAS for Saturday the 4th.

Forum does not allow fare postings, but it is available as a special for the next few weeks for round trips to WAS on weekends with certain trains. Just select adult fare on Amtrak's site and see what discount is applied.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Union Station actually opened in 1907, but the Centennial celebration is this year.
  by Jersey_Mike

Can y'all quit beating around the bush and shed some light on special visitors?
GG-1 4935 should be on display in the station on loan from the RR Museum of PA in Strassburg.

Amtrak's already done the clearance measurements for it. Hopefully they will also perform a brake test so that 4935 won't have to be displayed in the food court :-D

No word on how they plan to get it down there, probably a special move, but it would be super if Bennett Levin towed it down behind his E8's.
  by Kaback9

Jersey_Mike wrote:
Can y'all quit beating around the bush and shed some light on special visitors?
GG-1 4935 should be on display in the station on loan from the RR Museum of PA in Strassburg.

Amtrak's already done the clearance measurements for it. Hopefully they will also perform a brake test so that 4935 won't have to be displayed in the food court :-D

No word on how they plan to get it down there, probably a special move, but it would be super if Bennett Levin towed it down behind his E8's.
The E8's from what i hear will be doing something with the G, those are the rumors I have heard at least.
  by jhdeasy

I have been told that some of the privately owned (non-Amtrak) equipment coming to the display includes:

PRR GG-1 4935 from museum at Strasburg.

Juniata Terminal Company PRR E units and PRR 120, from Philadelphia.

possibly heavyweight business car MKT 403, from Philadelphia.

ACL and SR passenger locomotives from NC Museum of Transportation.

C&O heavyweight diner GADSBY'S TAVERN and lightweight lunch counter lounge CHESSIE CLUB from The Potomac Eagle in WV.

Wabash/N&W heavyweight business car CANNON BALL, freshly repainted by L&C Railway in SC.

former PRR 7142 ROGER WILLIAMS (Senator parlor car) from its home base in New England

possibly SAL Silver Meteor Sun Lounge car HOLLYWOOD BEACH, from its home base at L&C Railway in SC.

possibly former PRR lightweight six bedroom lounge ALDER FALLS from Morristown & Erie Railway

Possibly heavyweight Pullman bedroom lounge DOVER HARBOR owned by Washington DC Chapter NRHS
  by CarterB

Any agenda times and events yet?

I'd like to go down on Saturday, but would really like to know what all is going on, what will available to 'view' or "board"

Thanks
  by hi55us

dumpster.penguin wrote:How about a UA TurboTrain?
better question: how about the Rohr Turbo Train? It would do no harm, they are just collecting dust in Bear.