• Washington DC Union Station 100th Anniversary Celebration

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AMTK1007

realtype wrote:I'm wondering where Amtrak plans to store all this equipment throughout next week. MARC, the AEs, the Cap. Ltd., and the Regionals use ALL of the tracks at on the upper level at WAS. The LD's and the VRE use all the tracks on the lower level. The storage yard north of the platforms is exclusively used by MARC, the Ivy City yard is packed with VRE trains, and the Ivy City maintenance facility is packed with all sorts of VRE and MARC equipment.

A few times a year the freight railroads (usually CSX and NS) will send about 4 or so private cars into WAS to have some sort of reception, with red carpet service and everything. There's also a single Superliner Cafe on trk 16 (the Cap. ltd.) track also used for receptions of some sort. On the eve of the "potomac primary" there were dozens of paramilitary officers walking around it with M4s ready to shoot you if you batted an eye; there prob. was some sort of VIP meeting/reception in the car. In addition the CEO car is permenantly stored on one of the Acela tracks.

Anyways, my point is there's currently no space for any extra equipment, unless they send everything to WAS Friday night. Of course the Amtrak and MARC equip. on display is already there.
Do you really think they are going into this with out a WELL though out plan?
  by realtype

AMTK1007 wrote:
realtype wrote:I'm wondering where Amtrak plans to store all this equipment throughout next week. MARC, the AEs, the Cap. Ltd., and the Regionals use ALL of the tracks at on the upper level at WAS. The LD's and the VRE use all the tracks on the lower level. The storage yard north of the platforms is exclusively used by MARC, the Ivy City yard is packed with VRE trains, and the Ivy City maintenance facility is packed with all sorts of VRE and MARC equipment.

A few times a year the freight railroads (usually CSX and NS) will send about 4 or so private cars into WAS to have some sort of reception, with red carpet service and everything. There's also a single Superliner Cafe on trk 16 (the Cap. ltd.) track also used for receptions of some sort. On the eve of the "potomac primary" there were dozens of paramilitary officers walking around it with M4s ready to shoot you if you batted an eye; there prob. was some sort of VIP meeting/reception in the car. In addition the CEO car is permenantly stored on one of the Acela tracks.

Anyways, my point is there's currently no space for any extra equipment, unless they send everything to WAS Friday night. Of course the Amtrak and MARC equip. on display is already there.
Do you really think they are going into this with out a WELL though out plan?
I know Amtrak has some sort of plan, it's HOW it will affect operations at WAS, that I'm wondering about. Amtrak already treats MARC commuters as second rate, so i won't be surprised if this "plan" is carried out at the expense of MARC (or Regional) service.
  by AMTK1007

[quote="realtype]
I know Amtrak has some sort of plan, it's HOW it will affect operations at WAS, that I'm wondering about. Amtrak already treats MARC commuters as second rate, so i won't be surprised if this "plan" is carried out at the expense of MARC (or Regional) service.[/quote]

Don't forget you are talking about a display on a Saturday and Sunday...
Last edited by AMTK1007 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by The Metropolitan

Why wouldn't they just store the equipment in Ivy City until the evening following the PM Rush on the 3rd?
  by BadAddetude

Juniata Equpiment "Pennsylvania 120", "Warrior Ridge" and "Little Juniata Rapids", along with a MARC AEM-7 sit in penn Coach yard tonight (9/28). It was dark, no camera. Didn't see anything else there yet. Tomorrow's another day though...
  by BadAddetude

Kaback9 wrote:Just booked my trip tonight to go down.
For which day? What time is your return trip? I couldn't find a regional that left after 2pm!
  by Kaback9

BadAddetude wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Just booked my trip tonight to go down.
For which day? What time is your return trip? I couldn't find a regional that left after 2pm!
the 4th.
  by realtype

BadAddetude wrote:Juniata Equpiment "Pennsylvania 120", "Warrior Ridge" and "Little Juniata Rapids", along with a MARC AEM-7 sit in penn Coach yard tonight (9/28). It was dark, no camera. Didn't see anything else there yet. Tomorrow's another day though...
I see, that MARC AEM-7 (4902) was being rebuilt by Amtrak and should have been returned to MARC in September. So, Amtrak will prob. use the motor to shuttle down the cars to WAS. 4900 and 4901 should be returning to MARC shortly as well.

"chuchubob" got some photos of it at Race Street Enginehouse in Philly.
See: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 44#p584544

To Metropolitan: I'm not sure if Ivy City has space for all the equipment Amtrak wants to display. Especially considering that its already full of Amfleets, Superliners, Viewliners, MARC cars, diesels and electrics.
  by hi55us

realtype wrote:
BadAddetude wrote:Juniata Equpiment "Pennsylvania 120", "Warrior Ridge" and "Little Juniata Rapids", along with a MARC AEM-7 sit in penn Coach yard tonight (9/28). It was dark, no camera. Didn't see anything else there yet. Tomorrow's another day though...
I see, that MARC AEM-7 (4902) was being rebuilt by Amtrak and should have been returned to MARC in September. So, Amtrak will prob. use the motor to shuttle down the cars to WAS. 4900 and 4901 should be returning to MARC shortly as well.

To Metropolitan: I'm not sure if Ivy City has space for all the equipment Amtrak wants to display. Especially considering that its already full of Amfleets, Superliners, Viewliners, MARC cars, diesels and electrics.
they have viewliners @ ivy city? That seems like an odd location to store them.
  by chuchubob

realtype wrote:
The Juniata Terminal PV will travel to WAS behind 5711 and 5809.
  by realtype

hi55us wrote:
realtype wrote:

they have viewliners @ ivy city? That seems like an odd location to store them.
Well, they may not store them there (or the Superliners), but I definitely have seen some in Ivy City for maintenance on more than one occasion. Also, there are always Amfleet IIs in Ivy City, I would say as much or more so than the Amfleet Is. Plus of course the baggae cars and other stuff.

btw That Metroliner branded Amfleet coach (with the 'pointless arrow') is still at Ivy City.

To chuchubob: Well I hope 4902 makes it down sometime this week...
  by Kaback9

Does 4902 have a new MARC Scheme or did they keep it the same as before(just curious).

Back on topic, my guess is they now have decided to store everything at Ivy City as it comes in.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Ok folks, I have a big question. This past Saturday me and the girlfriend went to Strasburg RR and the outlet center. Parked in the yard for the RR Musuem of Pa were the NS F units and I believe a NS private car. Im wondering will the Fs be bringing down the GG1 to DC? If they are already there and Im hearing they will possibly(although I muight be mistaken)be attending this event, then we will see F's pulling a G to DC. Any thoughts or ideas?
  by realtype

Cannon Ball was sitting on trk 9 this morning. Track 9, which has a high-platform and isn't electrified, is used exclusively by MARC trains and is usually where PVs that come into WAS are kept (trk 7 or 8 are also used). I'm sure as more equipment is sent to WAS they'll place at least some of them on trackage reserved for MARC.

To "Kaback9": MARC 4902 has the same scheme it did before with a slightly lighter shade of blue. Plus, the loco number is now painted on either side.
Last edited by realtype on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.