Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia Roosevelt Blvd Subway

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1223240  by tgolanos

SEPTA2461 wrote:Had the Roosevelt Subway been built, what would the eastern terminus have been?
One of the last studies (the last one, maybe?) done by the City of Philadelphia showed either the Boulevard & Southampton Avenue or the Boulevard at Woodhaven. I don't exactly remember.
 #1223623  by trackwelder

nope. not at all. when the old sears on the boulevard was constructed in the late fifties or sixties they built the skeleton of an underground station along the planned ROW, but that's been sealed off and partially reclaimed for years.
 #1223667  by SEPTA2461

jtaeffner wrote:nope. not at all. when the old sears on the boulevard was constructed in the late fifties or sixties they built the skeleton of an underground station along the planned ROW, but that's been sealed off and partially reclaimed for years.
If I ever learn to use a scanner again, I'm going to draw a sketch of the Erie stubs. Olney too. I notice some claim that the turn onto Hunting Park was built but never tracked. Should I include it in my sketch?
 #1262508  by AlexC

TWTRTECH wrote:
AlexC wrote:Old Images of Philadelphia on Facebook posted a few pictures from inside the station at the Sears building.

https://www.facebook.com/oldimagesofphi ... 3?stream10
Alex, see post from March 5th 2013, I put these photos up already. They are from the PhillyHistory.org site.
Gah! I knew I should have paged farther back. Thanks.
 #1262623  by Push&Pull Master

With the proposed BRT/LRT along the Blvd, I think it's safe to assume that a Blvd subway will never happen. I guess we should all try to enjoy dreaming of transferring from a light rail car to the Broad Street Line at Erie. At least it's some type of transit in the Northeast.
 #1262655  by SubwayTim

I often "fantasize" about Philadelphia having an extensive subway system similar to New York City's, where no matter what part of the city you are in, a subway or elevated station is within close walking distance. It's a shame that will never happen...at least in our lifetime.
 #1263041  by #5 - Dyre Ave

Push/Pull Master wrote:With the proposed BRT/LRT along the Blvd, I think it's safe to assume that a Blvd subway will never happen. I guess we should all try to enjoy dreaming of transferring from a light rail car to the Broad Street Line at Erie. At least it's some type of transit in the Northeast.
Agreed. If light rail becomes the form of mass transit that gets implemented on the Blvd, have the route make its way over to Erie Station for a free transfer with the Broad Street Line. Yes, build an underground interchange at Erie - it would be the next best thing to a one-seat ride from the Northeast that the subway extension was supposed to bring. And if they go with LRT, it might make sense to also restore Route 56 as a rail route with "Transit First" signals and more substantial car stops.

Does anyone know what the latest word is on the proposed Blvd LRT/BRT? Or is it still just that - a proposal? I thought I read something about DVRPC conducting a new study for mass transit on the Blvd that would include LRT and BRT alternatives - but not subway or elevated heavy rail (shame, because that's really what the Northeast needs). But that was last year and other than a few blog articles, that seems to be all I've been able to find online about the proposed Blvd LRT/BRT. If they're no longer going to consider heavy rail, then I sure hope they choose LRT as the preferred alternative. Bus Rapid Transit should not be the "end-all, be-all" solution to the Blvd's mass transit issues. Rather, it should be a sort-of "interim solution" - as in implementing elements of BRT like off-board fare collection, striped bus lanes and Transit First signals on the existing Blvd bus routes all while the rail line is under construction.
 #1263045  by #5 - Dyre Ave

SubwayTim wrote:I often "fantasize" about Philadelphia having an extensive subway system similar to New York City's, where no matter what part of the city you are in, a subway or elevated station is within close walking distance. It's a shame that will never happen...at least in our lifetime.
I agree Tim - and I'm from New York City. I've always thought Philadelphia should have a more extensive subway (or even light rail) system given its size and population density. Buses and Regional Rail often have to pick up the slack in the many areas that are far from the subway/el stations. West and Southwest Philly are the exceptions because they have the Subway-Surface Line trolleys that go underground in University City on their way to City Hall. Apart from the areas within walking distance of the subway and el, the rest of the city - unfortunately - has to make due with slow and overcrowded buses or infrequent-running Regional Rail trains that are focused more on serving the needs of people commuting to Center City for work.
 #1263059  by Push&Pull Master

#5 - Dyre Ave wrote:
Push/Pull Master wrote:With the proposed BRT/LRT along the Blvd, I think it's safe to assume that a Blvd subway will never happen. I guess we should all try to enjoy dreaming of transferring from a light rail car to the Broad Street Line at Erie. At least it's some type of transit in the Northeast.
Agreed. If light rail becomes the form of mass transit that gets implemented on the Blvd, have the route make its way over to Erie Station for a free transfer with the Broad Street Line. Yes, build an underground interchange at Erie - it would be the next best thing to a one-seat ride from the Northeast that the subway extension was supposed to bring. And if they go with LRT, it might make sense to also restore Route 56 as a rail route with "Transit First" signals and more substantial car stops.

Does anyone know what the latest word is on the proposed Blvd LRT/BRT? Or is it still just that - a proposal? I thought I read something about DVRPC conducting a new study for mass transit on the Blvd that would include LRT and BRT alternatives - but not subway or elevated heavy rail (shame, because that's really what the Northeast needs). But that was last year and other than a few blog articles, that seems to be all I've been able to find online about the proposed Blvd LRT/BRT. If they're no longer going to consider heavy rail, then I sure hope they choose LRT as the preferred alternative. Bus Rapid Transit should not be the "end-all, be-all" solution to the Blvd's mass transit issues. Rather, it should be a sort-of "interim solution" - as in implementing elements of BRT like off-board fare collection, striped bus lanes and Transit First signals on the existing Blvd bus routes all while the rail line is under construction.
The current status of the Blvd Transit Project is that DVRPC is conducting the study of what is the best alternative for blvd with proposed stations, head ways, etc. Once that is complete, Septa will begin the bulk of the planning/design work. There is no exact timeline but Septa listed it as a very high priority. An exact list of Septa priorities in order would be this: 1. Elwyn to Wawa Service 2. King of Prussia NHSL Extension 3. BSL extension to Navy Yard 4. Blvd Transit 5. Cultural Corridor 6. Atglen
 #1284685  by jayo

SEPTA2461 wrote:Does anyone have photographs of the Erie stubs that you might be comfortable enough to share?
Or at the very least, what kind of trackage is it? Do the sidings use the wooden half-tie track or direct fixation?
 #1425515  by SEPTA2461

Hey everyone, I know there's more important matters going on out there, but I checked phillyhistory.org, and finally found photos of the end of the upper Erie trackage. If I'd only looked four years ago. Ah well.
 #1425675  by ex Budd man

It would be cheaper to built an elevated extension of the M-F line to Roosevelt Blvd. than to tunnel from Broad Street. Tunneling has too many potential obstacles; countless underground utilities and three circles come to mind. Built it on the median with access from the side walks. Run it all the way to Neshaminy Mall. That might lighten the traffic on the West Trenton line.