Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia Roosevelt Blvd Subway

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1207420  by SEPTA2461

Does anyone have photographs of the Erie stubs that you might be comfortable enough to share? I understand if no one can, considering its photo-sensitive state. I went to the Lawncrest area to film the pedestrian tunnel that might have been the entrance to the Adams Avenue station. It was gated off. The stairs were crumbling. And the walls were graffiti-laden. If anybody wants to see them, I can put them up.
 #1213636  by SEPTA2461

SCB2525 wrote:I'd actually like to see that.
Unfortunately, none of my own pictures can fit on this website, but I've got a photo of a turnback area that resembles Erie somewhat. This might be Walnut-Locust, but we'll leave it to the more experienced eyes to say for sure.
 #1219411  by SEPTA2461

SCB2525 wrote:Actually that looks more like Fern Rock interlocking.
Hmm that's now. Must people think Walnut-Locust. But Fern Rock interlocking doesn't have a double-crossover in the middle like Walnut-Locust and Erie do.
 #1219487  by SCB2525

You know what you're absolutely right that is definitely Walnut Locust. You can see the track end lamps in the distance. It's definitely not Erie as those tracks end in sand filled troughs that act as derails.
 #1219681  by SEPTA2461

SCB2525 wrote:You know what you're absolutely right that is definitely Walnut Locust. You can see the track end lamps in the distance. It's definitely not Erie as those tracks end in sand filled troughs that act as derails.
Sand? That's kinda dangerous. Have you been up there to see them?
 #1219685  by SEPTA2461

SEPTA2461 wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:You know what you're absolutely right that is definitely Walnut Locust. You can see the track end lamps in the distance. It's definitely not Erie as those tracks end in sand filled troughs that act as derails.
Sand? That's kinda dangerous. Have you been up there to see them?
Also, is Olney like that? I can never make out a proper end of track device within that stub, just an orange marker sign.
 #1220964  by SCB2525

I have seen Erie ramp and also Olney, but didn't see end of track at Olney as there was a Ridge Spur train held there. The other ramps at Olney have no trackage. At Erie, the last say, 100 feet of rail are simply laid in a trough of sand. Apparently that's the original setup. Beyond that is a substation that was taken out of service in 1996.
 #1220969  by SEPTA2461

SCB2525 wrote:I have seen Erie ramp and also Olney, but didn't see end of track at Olney as there was a Ridge Spur train held there. The other ramps at Olney have no trackage. At Erie, the last say, 100 feet of rail are simply laid in a trough of sand. Apparently that's the original setup. Beyond that is a substation that was taken out of service in 1996.
Amazing. I guess they never put up bumpers in anticipation of the Northeast Spur actually built. No photos, I presume?
 #1220984  by SCB2525

The only photo I have is of the untracked southbound ramp at Olney. I took other pictures but the low lighting and sodium lighting played havoc on my camera; these photos are of no value.
 #1220985  by SCB2525

Also of note; at Erie, once the ramps rise above the main track, the tracks level out and continue for about 3 full trainlengths. It's impossible to see end of track from the ramp. This is likely why there was no need to convert to modern derails and bumpers, as any trains laid over stop and switch ends well short of end of track.
 #1220988  by SEPTA2461

SCB2525 wrote:Also of note; at Erie, once the ramps rise above the main track, the tracks level out and continue for about 3 full trainlengths. It's impossible to see end of track from the ramp. This is likely why there was no need to convert to modern derails and bumpers, as any trains laid over stop and switch ends well short of end of track.
I'll bet many a conductor who once they got their train settled in up there would scratch their head and wonder where those tracks led to.
 #1220992  by SCB2525

Na, you can see from a laid up train, they change ends on the near end of the leveled-out portion beyond the ramps. It is a ways past that though.
 #1220995  by SEPTA2461

SCB2525 wrote:Na, you can see from a laid up train, they change ends on the near end of the leveled-out portion beyond the ramps. It is a ways past that though.
If they're really 3 trainlengths long, they must stop at least near the Hunting Park station.