Railroad Forums 

• Best Place to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1492381  by liftedjeep

NorthPennLimited wrote:So the farewell trip is only going to be a round trip from Paoli to Suburban Station?

Seems they put minimal effort into planning the trip compared to the Blueliner and Budd trips.
They could also be doing absolutely nothing. Be glad for what Septa is offering!
Ben
 #1492427  by ExCon90

NorthPennLimited wrote:So the farewell trip is only going to be a round trip from Paoli to Suburban Station?

Seems they put minimal effort into planning the trip compared to the Blueliner and Budd trips.
IIRC the Blueliner and Budd trips were arranged by the Philadelphia Chapter NRHS with the fans in mind. This appears to be strictly a SEPTA deal. As noted above, be glad of what there is.
 #1492438  by bikentransit

Surprising to see a fan trip running on Amtrak rails. Would have been nice to have seen this on the West Trenton line, or Doylestown/Warminster which are more scenic and rarely see these cars and would have had more horn action. My guess is convenience: Run it into stub track at Suburban, then back out to Frazer for more shop work before NJT gets them. Nevertheless, good to see a final sendoff for these machines.
 #1492450  by njtmnrrbuff

Something is better than nothing so for those people partaking in the festivities, try to enjoy what is being offered. This was short notice and it probably involve plenty of "arm twisting" to Amtrak's management. Sadly I won't be able to attend because I will probably be donating to and photographing the NJ Toys for Tots train on the Susquehanna in NJ.
 #1492495  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - My thoughts about the Saturday 12/1 Farewell to the AEM7 trip:

1-This was likely put together by SEPTA without any outside rail enthusiast organization being
involved with short notice. What surprised me is how short a period that this trip is scheduled
for which is just a 33 minute run eastbound from PAO-PHS; a one hour 12 minute CCP layover
and then a 28 minute run back to Paoli westbound for the finish.

2-The trip schedule as posted by SEPTA:
10:25AM-PAO
10:32AM-WAY
10:35AM-RAD
10:39AM-BMR
10:53AM-PHL30
10:58AM-PHS
*CCP Layover*
12:10PM-PHS
12:15PM-PHL30
12:24PM-BMR
12:28PM-RAD
12:31PM-WAY
12:38PM-PAO

3-Running this round trip - which can be compared timewise to a rush hour limited stop express
on the Paoli Line - makes sense since the AEM7s ran most often on this route.

4-Fares for this trip look to be regular Zone 3/4 weekend fares: OW $5.25 prepaid or $7.00 OB.
Independence Passes for $13 or any legacy pass having Anywhere weekend privileges are valid.
The Paoli SEPTA ticket office is open from 7AM to 3PM on Saturdays.

5-Amtrak likely had no problem with this trip schedule provided that there was no conflict with
any of their PHL-HAR trains. Eastbound SEPTA local trains leave PAO at 10:00 and 10:30AM.
Eastbound Amtrak #662 stops at PAO at 9:51AM and #664 at 10:54AM.
Westbound SEPTA local #1519 is scheduled to leave PHS at 12:13PM three minutes behind the
Special and Amtrak #43 Pennsylvanian is scheduled to stop at PAO at 1:10PM.

6-Expect a surprise (or two) on this trip. There will likely be two motors assigned for this special
farewell run - will one be ALP44 #2308? (the last operating ALP44 in case anyone is unaware)

7-Running this trip on more then one line would likely require sponsorship from one or more rail
enthusiast organizations and cost considerably more then regular fares. Amtrak's two NEC routes
(Wilmington/Newark and Trenton Lines) have traditionally not been used on special SEPTA fantrips.
We should all thank SEPTA for scheduling and operating this special Farewell trip. MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1492502  by liftedjeep

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone - My thoughts about the Saturday 12/1 Farewell to the AEM7 trip:

6-Expect a surprise (or two) on this trip. There will likely be two motors assigned for this special
farewell run - will one be ALP44 #2308? (the last operating ALP44 in case anyone is unaware)

7-Running this trip on more then one line would likely require sponsorship from one or more rail
enthusiast organizations and cost considerably more then regular fares. Amtrak's two NEC routes
(Wilmington/Newark and Trenton Lines) have traditionally not been used on special SEPTA fantrips.
We should all thank SEPTA for scheduling and operating this special Farewell trip. MACTRAXX

My guess is that Septa will put an AEM-7 on either end of the farewell excursion train, and operate it in push/pull mode for the trip. Yes, #2308 is the last operating ALP-44, but this is a "Farewell to the AEM-7" excursion. I personally think running the ALP for this trip would not make sense. We shall see what happens.....

And I agree, Septa deserves a big Thank You from all of us railfans for stepping up and making this special event happen!
Ben
 #1492543  by CNJGeep

MACTRAXX wrote:will one be ALP44 #2308?
Looking good
Last edited by CNJGeep on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1492544  by CNJGeep

2308 east, 2301 west, four coaches.
The trip leaves five minutes before a revenue train east and three minutes before a revenue train west. Heavy, heavy crowding on the eastbound is a distinct possibility.

*****EDIT: Train will now be six cars.*****
*****EDIT #2: ALP44 2308 set to lead eastbound*****
 #1492683  by liftedjeep

A few shots from today's (12/1) "Farewell to the AEM-7" excursion.

-The train is first pictured headed east through Narberth with ALP-44 #2308 leading. Upon reaching Philadelphia, AEM-7 #2301 did the honors back west for the final journey up Septa's Paoli-Thorndale Line. It was photographed leaving Suburban Station, headed for 30th St, which can be seen in the distance.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... ?id=130032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, a big THANK YOU to Septa for making this trip happen for all of us railfans!!
Ben
 #1492721  by MACTRAXX

Ben and Everyone: Thanks for the photographs and videos from this AEM7/ALP44 Farewell trip...

Yes-I agree that putting 1987-2018 on #2301 and 1996-2018 on #2308 was a nice idea.
In case anyone does not know all eight of SEPTA's motors have their original builders plaques
intact and readable - March 1987 I believe was the build month for the seven SEPTA AEM7s.

How was the ridership on both runs? Did the eastbound get the anticipated (by CNJ) crowd?
We all again should thank SEPTA for holding this event...It will be interesting to see where
these eight motors end up (in lease service to NJT, SEPTA work trains or elsewhere) with their
regular service use ending...MACTRAXX
 #1492723  by CNJGeep

Surprisingly, the eastbound did NOT see the intense ridership I had anticipated. Reports from participants seem to indicate that there were seats available in each car.

The regular revenue train in front of the excursion (1514) got slammed, opening all four cars at Paoli.