Railroad Forums 

• Suburban Station to be renamed Verizon Station?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1278715  by Quinn

From the article (linked here):
Was the City supposed to be collecting taxes? In retrospect, Maier said, “I guess.”

Could the City have demanded payment? “Probably,” Maier said.
Sounds like the City really dropped the ball after winning, in appeals, the case to get SEPTA to pay. Amazing that they never collected. I wonder if they will try to get a piece of naming revenue, as Launcher suggests.
 #1278787  by CComMack

Anyone who follows property news in the city of Philadelphia knows that property tax collection and enforcement can be... desultory, at best. This is only one symptom of a much larger pattern of negligence from the city's Revenue Department.
 #1278792  by loufah

I find it astonishing that, even after the state supreme court said "SEPTA property leased to commercial tenants is not immune from taxation.”, we still have
According to SEPTA General Manager Joe Casey, SEPTA had a responsibility to taxpayers and riders to dispute the tax bill. He noted that the funds in dispute were used to maintain public transit services.
Does that mean SEPTA can try to avoid paying anybody it owes money to, simply by claiming the money they have on hand is needed to maintain the system?
 #1278814  by 4400Washboard

loufah wrote:I find it astonishing that, even after the state supreme court said "SEPTA property leased to commercial tenants is not immune from taxation.”, we still have
According to SEPTA General Manager Joe Casey, SEPTA had a responsibility to taxpayers and riders to dispute the tax bill. He noted that the funds in dispute were used to maintain public transit services.
Does that mean SEPTA can try to avoid paying anybody it owes money to, simply by claiming the money they have on hand is needed to maintain the system?
Well they better have a pretty damn way to use it
 #1278816  by Clearfield

Are we getting off topic?