• Suburban Station to be renamed Verizon Station?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by motor

Clearfield wrote:Verizon is smart to want Suburban carrying their name. The station is adjacent and connected to Comcast headquarters. Since Verizon and Comcast are duking it out nationally for Xfinity versus FIOS it puts Verizon at Comcast's front door and the Verizon name in Comcast's face.

File with Mr. Spacely looking out his window one day to find "COGSWELL COGS" in his face!

motor
  by 4400Washboard

motor wrote:
Clearfield wrote:Verizon is smart to want Suburban carrying their name. The station is adjacent and connected to Comcast headquarters. Since Verizon and Comcast are duking it out nationally for Xfinity versus FIOS it puts Verizon at Comcast's front door and the Verizon name in Comcast's face.

File with Mr. Spacely looking out his window one day to find "COGSWELL COGS" in his face!

motor

Hehe smart analogy lol

Good job motor!
  by glennk419

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
khecht wrote:Penn Center refers to the office buildings that were along the former PRR "Chinese Wall" and related approaches to, and parts of, the former Broad Street Station, and represents the redevelopment of that land area. What specific buildings were owned by the railroad still when the Penn Central came to be I don't know though. One Penn Center (above Suburban Station) seems likely to have remained under railroad ownership for a while but appears to be at least managed by a third party now and likely has been for a while.
Penn Central (which still exists as a holding company/trust in name and also owns some ROWs) still has offices at Six Penn Center, I recall somewhere.
You are correct. PennCentral had offices in Six Penn Center ( NW corner of 17th and Market ) which later also housed Conrail employees until they consolidated their offices to Commerce Square. Other than a tenant / landlord relationship, I don't believe there was any connection.
  by 25Hz

Yuck.

But hey SEPTA needs money. -shrug-
  by ExCon90

There was no relationship (other than landlord-tenant as mentioned above) between Penn Center and the Penn Central. Penn Center (the development) was named in 1955, more than a decade before the public had even heard of the Pennsylvania New York Central Transportation Company (anybody remember that?), let alone Penn Central.
  by motor

tjensen wrote:
motor wrote:

motor

Hehe smart analogy lol

Good job motor!

Thank you.

motor
  by South Jersey Budd

I'm ok with the name change and will accept it for any station. Mass transit needs the money since most systems are not properly funded. The ads on the interior and exterior of rail cars has also grown on me. As long as they do not alter or destroy any historic signage or architecture of the building, it's just a name but most people will still call it Suburban Station.
  by walnut

Except the primary revenue source is fares. Anything that moves away from customer understanding is not good for business.
  by 4400Washboard

walnut wrote:Except the primary revenue source is fares. Anything that moves away from customer understanding is not good for business.

Well i suppose that septa could be sooo desperate for $ they try and get it any way they possibly can...
  by loufah

It would be bad if they began to rename the numeric stops on the El, or neighborhood names on the trolley (though personally I think it'd be amusing if the fraction of the trolley stops in western Upper Darby not already named Drexel got plausibly renamed). But if adding a name to Suburban Station will mean fewer wraps on buses (which interfere with me finding a stop at night), and an end to ads defacing the floor of 30th Street, then go for it.
Last edited by loufah on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jersey_Mike

Unbelievable. They'll do this, yet not get Wawa Foods to fund the R3 extension to Wawa???!!! That one doesn't even require a major re-branding and would actually IMPROVE SERVICE!!! AAARRRGHHH!!!! The name to an entire line/service has got to be more valuable than a single station.
  by Tritransit Area

loufah wrote: But if adding a name to Suburban Station will mean fewer wraps on buses (which interfere with me finding a stop at night), and an end to ads defacing the floor of 30th Street, then go for it.
Not at all. This is SEPTA making up for the lack of funding provided by the state and local municipalities. Nowadays I wonder what other space SEPTA will find to sell for ad space...
  by R3 Passenger

Tritransit Area wrote:Not at all. This is SEPTA making up for the lack of funding provided by the state and local municipalities. Nowadays I wonder what other space SEPTA will find to sell for ad space...
Bus drivers' uniforms. Nothing says "fast service" better than a bus driver decked out like a NASCAR driver.
  by Clearfield

Tritransit Area wrote:Not at all. This is SEPTA making up for the lack of funding provided by the state and local municipalities. Nowadays I wonder what other space SEPTA will find to sell for ad space...
There was a time in the not too distant past when SEPTA was prohibited by state law from increasing revenues through ads.

Now the state wants SEPTA to squeeze every advertising dollar out of the system it can.
  by Launcher

SEPTA trying to make money off of Suburban assets is a headline on philly.com (Inquirer) today. Apparently, they have been renting out their property at market rates, and pocketing money that would be city tax revenue. Will SEPTA be taxed on any revenues for renaming rights?